Our move to Salt Lake has been great, overall! Of course change takes some time and adjusting. My mom has been so good to call and check on me almost every day! She called one day to let me know that I had all four stressors of disaster. What? She was reading somewhere that the four major "stressors" that cause depression/suicide/anxiety/loss of testimony/whatever else my mom was concerned about:) were:
1. Moving. 2. A job change. 3. Poor health. 4. Death or loss.
Well, I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but I will be Fanny Factual: 1. We moved--quickly and interestingly. 2. I'm not working, Scott graduated, quit his job of 5 years and started a completely new job (which has turned out awesome!). 3. I have had some poor health to say the least, and been hanging out with doctors at least two or three times a week, who all assure me that I am handling this just fine! I have worried that I'm not Pollyanna enough, but I have been reassured by MANY professionals that I have a lot of sh*t going on (I promise, I haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to sharing the details yowza!) and they are impressed with my positive attitude and sense of humor! I had one doctor tell me that actually ANYONE else in my situation would just NOT be handling this! (I needed that validation!) So if you're out there thinking I have a bad attitude or I'm not positive enough or if you were worried about my post with the unexplained titles, don't be! I'm surviving well! And as JK told Melinda, surviving is success! 4. My grandma Tueller is slowly dying (I can't believe I just typed that!) and having moved closer to her, I have been witnessing her decline (feeding her and changing her) and helping my sweet grandpa Jack while his heart is breaking as he loses his sweetheart of 69 years!
SOOO, with that brought to my attention (thanks mom--no really, I thought I was just losing my mind!) I realized, that it was OK to be having some ups and downs. It has been tough, I won't go into detail because I don't like to share my personal problems, however, SLIGHT DIVERSION: This past weekend was incredible for me. The 181st General Conference of the LDS church was this past Saturday and Sunday and wow did it buoy me up! It was, to me, direct words from God. I firmly believe that and know that He communicated with me this past weekend through Latter-Day prophets. I have been praying and begging for direction and help and I KNOW that someone-my Heavenly Father-who loves me (and all of us), sent me personal messages and feelings. I needed this desperately! I have prayed for help tons of times before, most times it has been stick it out and wait, be strong, keep reading your scriptures, etc., but this time it came from General Conference and from a visit to the temple when we were asked to do sealings performed by Brother Kinikini. I need to document this so I can look back on it. I wrote the details down somewhere special, but the overall event was one that I think I will look back on and realize that it was one of my roads that diverged in a yellow wood.
OK, so anyway back to the topic at hand, the move to SLC and the job change has overall been a positive, much needed change of pace, scenery, and PEOPLE...which leads me to share the story of the tranny/pedi.
Scott went skiing on a buy one get one kind of a thing, so I got to splurge on a pedicure. I found this little place up here in Sugar House that was having a special that a manicure came with the pedicure. That's what us girls call a mani/pedi. Saweeet! I walked in and was told to pick out my color and then climb into one of those heavenly chairs that rubs your back. I did what I was told and got comfy when I heard, "Hello, what's your name?" I look to my right and the person sitting next to me immediately becomes my new best friend because they are so different. Man or woman? Man or woman? I'm not sure. I can't stop starring. His/her make up was awesome (I probably should have asked for some tips!) Eyebrows that were painted on like rainbows. Lips that looked like they were applied with a Sharpie pen. His/her hair was about 1/2 inch long but with extensions attached at the ends that were long about half way down his/her back. I'm gonna go with HER. Her name was Terri (well great, that didn't help decide gender at all). Her voice...could have been male or female. So, all in all, I guess it's not important what was, but what is. So for all intents and purposes we're just a couple of girls getting our toes done. We talked and talked and it was seriously awesome! She was so, so nice and when she found out I was new to Salt Lake, she started giving me all these little tips about good restaurants and shops and local joints. I like people that are different and confident enough in themselves that I'm sure they are not judging me and my insecurities. (ya, I'm one of those that worries what people think of me--I'm working on it!) We talked about people and friends and family. We parted as new BFFs, exchanging information and it was so nice and different and got me thinking of something other than my own "shtuff!" It was really refreshing and far from the "norm!" I really like the diversity up here in SLC. It's been like moving to an entirely different state. It was funny because my sister and I were just talking about the differences in Utah and Salt Lake Valleys. So the minute I sat down to this difference, I text Melinda and asked her when the last time was she had a pedicure in Utah Valley seated next to a possible transvestite/cross dresser?
I text Scott and let him know what my afternoon was like. When I came home he asked me,
...WAIT FOR IT...
"How was your tranny/pedi?"
(Get it? mani/pedi?)
My husband is a funny dude!
13 comments:
Holy Shi-ite Muslim, that was hilarious! If only I could be a fly on that wall during the tranny/pedi!!! LOVIN IT!
Well my dear Megs-I love ya. Conference was for us all and I too felt the messages directed straight to my heart. Heres to hoping that 2011 turns out better than 2010 for you. You are becoming stronger through the refiners fire and I'm sure YOUR fire has been on of the hottest on record. You're awesome and things always seem to work out. Let's go out before I have the babe!
Good ole T Mitch! I LOVE HER! oh there is too much to comment except that this will never get old! Ever! I still wished you would have gotten a picture for me. I am sure she/he was wonderful! I am so jealous! I am stuck down here in happy valley where it's all about "what did you do today? well, let me tell you what I did... I have been exercising for the past 36 hrs straight, and I just had a baby 2 mins ago which is now my tenth, and now I need to take my cookies out of the oven after I get my canned tomatoes off the stove, because I am taking dinner to 15 people in my ward tonight because I am the RS president." F Who needs a valley anyway! LMAO!
Nice! I want to hear that story everyday!!! One of the best ones I have ever heard. I hope things start looking up soon. Well since Mindy is the RS president---maybe have her bring you dinner and come clean your house. That should lighten your load. Haha! Love you girl!
Oh man. That is a GREAT story. Love it. And calling it the "tranni-pedi" is just plain hilarious.
A for the other stuff.... let's have a "playdate" at your park soon and talk.
I laughed so hard at what Scott said. Im sorry you have so much on your plate right now. When we had Emily we sold our house and Matt lost him job I thought I was going to have a hearattack. There were some really dark days, so I can kinda relate. I love ya!
OH man Megs, that is a funny story about your new BFF. I think it's so fun to meet the strangest people and come to find out they are pretty cool. I was happy to see your comments on my posts. I CAN'T wait to come out and play. I will be in Utah April 23rd through the 7th of May. I REALLY am serious about doing a sleepover in a hotel or at someone's house. The wedding is on the 30th so we can't do it that weekend......but let's get something going and get Mindy, JaNell, Vicki, and Wendy to come too. I would love that!!!
I will also show you how to do the puff crochet stitch and show you how to do the animal beanies. You have the skills, I will just show you the stitch.
I miss you dearly and think of you often. I hope you are doing ok and hanging in there. You are such a champ and an example to me. Thanks for being my friend and making me want to be a better person.
Hugs and Kisses!!Love ya cutie!!
Scott always has the perfect comments! I love it. I am happy to hear that you are embracing all types of "its." LOL! I wish I could have been there with you:) I am looking forward to seeing you soon!
PS. Carter is such a sweet, cute little man. He is getting so big. I miss seeing all the nieces and nephews for their birthdays. I feel like I miss a lot of growing up:(
Oh man that is so dang funny....Love it when you meet what we call an "IT" don't know if that is nice or what but they are good people too just different haha....Oh Scott he is so dang funny love it cause he is so quite like me but is very funny when he does talk Love you both and so excited to see you SATURDAY!!!!
That is a great story, I wish I could see her, but I have a great visual in my head...We are for sure loving St. George, and it has been super fun meeting new people and being closer to Jon and Mendy!...It will be fun when you guys come to visit to see you.
By the way that last comment was from me, JACKIE Johnson not Josh I forgot to log into my own account
Hi Megan! I love this post so much that I think I'll send you an email instead of writing down all my thoughts and taking up way too much space with my comments. However, I must say that Scott's Tranny/Pedi comment was awesome. He is one clever guy-- always has been. I love you guys.
Hi Megan. Thanks for this post, you turned my Friday here at work upside down! :) I love laughing out loud then looking up to see several people just watching me!! Sorry about your Grandma. My Grandpa is going through the same thing, it is a very hard thing to watch. Just the other day he said he was proud of me and expressed how much he likes Jesse. I couldn't help but tear up. Grandparents are the best. :) Well keep being that rock of strength that you are. And keep these AWESOME stories coming! :)
I was thinking about you and this funny post while we were in your part of town yesterday. What would we do if we couldn't laugh?!
Post a Comment