Thursday, April 21, 2011

I'm Jerry McGuire!

This is one of my best pals, Payton. He has given me such validation and some of the greatest compliments OF MY LIFE. He is 9 and we have been friends for probably 3-4 years. I went to a school bowling party of his last week. One of the parents introduced themselves to me and pointed out their child and then asked who I was. I was sitting next to Payton's mom (coolest.friend.ever) and I looked at her not quite knowing exactly how to explain who I was. So of course I said too much, too fast, tried to be funny and it came out like we were modern family lesbians! Payton spoke up and said, and I quote, "Megan is my other mom that doesn't live with me." I am sure that the other parents left very confused now thinking that there was either some divorce or polygamy/sister wives involved...but I knew what was going on. Payton had just called me "mom" in a sense. I have never been called that. Ever. This sweet 9 year old views me as his back up mother. What the what? I was so moved by that. I think of that often and can hear him, in only his voice, saying that!


Another favorite Payton story happened a couple of years ago. I got a text from him that said "This is Payton. Will you be my agent? I need someone to tell my secrets to and get some advice from." I felt like Jerry McGuire! Heck yes, I'll be your agent! I was laughing hysterically to Scott and soon got a follow-up text from Payton's mom saying, um I'm having a talk with Payton about his said "secrets" and sorry to bug you. I reassured her that neither Payton nor she were ever bugging me!

Whenever I visit their house, Payton gives me hugs all the time, freely telling me that he loves me. It makes me feel so important and seriously loved. I love the honesty and openness of this kid! I think kids are such good judges of characters, so for one to call me "mom" and want me to be his "agent" are a couple of the greatest compliments I have ever received! Thanks Payt! I'll always have your back, buddy!



4 comments:

Julie Kaye said...

Well I love Payton! What a cute kid, and I am glad he made you feel as you good as you should! Amazing what a 9 yr old can do in their naive sincere way! You can't fake that!!

Tara said...

What an awesome kid-he just knows what we all know! You're the freakin SH&#!!!!!!!! Love ya sister!

Mendy said...

That is so adorable!!!! What a cutie!!! Scott better watch out haha!!!

7packofbearss said...

I can't really even think of anything to say except for thanks for making Payton- actually all of my kids, think they are special. You have a way of doing that to anyone who is with you.

by the way- Payton says he loves you! :)