...Miss America!

My beautiful, talented, and totally kick a$$
mother was Miss Washington DC and
1st runner-up to Miss America! She then, along with my dad, were the program directors and in charge of the Miss Utah Pageant for 23 years. This year at the Miss America Pageant, my mom was invited specifically to receive an award. I was so lucky and got to tag along! I absolutely treasure the times that I get to spend all alone with my parents! I don't know if anyone out there knows what I'm talking about, but being 1 of 8 kids, time alone with my parents is precious. It was just the three of us in a huge suite on the south end of the Vegas strip. Nine days of no responsibility, and all the pampering a daughter can get! I also walked around quasi-famous as Norm and Rosanne (Tueller) Nielsen's daughter. I loved basking in their glory. My only responsibilities were to dress up, wear make up, smile, and make some nice conversation with "important" people while eating fantastic food.


I just took a quick picture from our seats of the stage at Planet Hollywood

I love pictures of anything along the strip!

The pageant took place at Planet Hollywood.

The award ceremony took place in the restaurant up in the Eiffel tower. It was so awesome. The view was killer. I love the Bilagio and this provided the best view I have yet to see of the dancing waters. It was magical.

Dad, mom, Joan, and Jack (from Montana).

While walking through the Paris hotel, this was an advertisement for a hypnotist show. I was laughing right out loud to myself!

Proof that I do get "ready" occasionally.


The view from the Eiffel Tower before it got dark.

My cute, little, 67-year-old Rosie t-ing it up!

Mom and me with BeBe Shoppe, Miss America 1948.

BeBe spoke and showed off her original swimsuit which was made of 100% wool cable knit! WHAT? And every girl knows those stripes are totally going the wrong way for your figure!

Jack Lawson reading the award.

My siblings will know that my dad's hand placement is not by accident.

My dad is such a great generous fella! He was a joint recipient of the award, but totally turned it over to my mom and highlighted what she had done by creating the platform issue.



After my parents received their award, they were gracious enough to turn right around and give an award to Jack who is the alumni president. He was genuinely surprised and so flattered.

My claim to fame and only name badge I needed!

It was so much fun having Norm and Lisa come down for the final night! Lisa loved it so much that I'm pretty sure she is speechless. If you asked her what it was like I don't think she would even be able to describe it! LMAO!

We had great Italian food with the Labrums at The Saucy Tomato. Great recommendation from Krissy. Joe, Tony and Deena took great care of us and really knew their Italian cooking!
Good to know I have some outstanding relatives in Vegas who could offer me a job!
YES! This is the THE Grimaldi's Pizza place from underneath the Brooklyn Bridge. They opened two in Vegas. Jonny told me about this and I was so excited to take my parents. I asked the manager how exactly they could guarantee it would be as good as the New York pizza and she told me the exact ingredients were used right down to the water. WHAT? In order to ensure the exactness, they have the same water piping/mineral ratio/etc that is in New York pumped into the Vegas restaurant. THEY WERE NOT KIDDING. The pizza was divine!!! I love when the guests you take (my parents) really think it's as good as you talked it up to be! I just wish Scott, Jonny, Mendy, Krissy, and John were there and then we all could have walked across the Brooklyn Bridge again...well, maybe not exactly like last time...

It was a wonderful vacation for me--just what the Dr. ordered. I was so relaxed and really enjoyed my time with just my parents and me! Thanks again mom and dad. You two really are some of my greatest friends!
15 comments:
Awww, I LOVE your parents. I love that the only reason I knew about you moms Miss America days is because Sister Weymouth told me. I"m so glad you got to go have some time to relax with your peeps. You look amazing btw.
I think I might be kind of jealous! Looks like fun.
AWE! Your mom still could be Miss America. She's BEAUTIFUL! ...and you follow in her footsteps. What a great trip! I'm glad you could go. I miss you!
Your mom was what!??? So cool! Totally explains why you look like a beauty queen!!!!!
Love it when you comment on my blog, it always makes my day. :)
As usual... amazing documentation. I feel like I was there. :) What a strange, fascinating, cool world of pageantry. Amazing.
P.S. YOU are hott.
Oh man that looks like such a FUN trip! I love the Miss America pageant...watch it every year! I'm jealous
Jealous!!! Looked like such a great week! So I'm dying to know- did your pant's drop?! Don't tell me you didn't even go see the hypnotist after that advertisement!!!
T'ing it up is my new fav stance! LOVE IT! Wish I was there!
See and you never even knew I was gone. What a PARTAY!!
I have a goal that one of these years WE (Lee girls but Nielsen girls are welcome to join us) will watch the Miss America pageant together. I want to critique, predict, and analyze the outcome. Naturally, refreshments will be served.
Um yes. LMAO for sure! What a night! I will never forget it. I loved being with you guys. What a fun getaway! 123!
I love those kinds of "responsibilities." A girl could get used to that :) How fun, and your mom is gorgeous, like mother like daughter!
My mom was Miss Nevada in '64 but never went to the Miss America pageant because her missionary came home off his mission, so she got married instead.
Yes, your mom still looks gorgeous! And, what a fun little getaway for you! We stayed at the Planet Hollywood during Christmas and loved it!
so glad you stopped by the ole site a few days ago cause it reminded me I needed a Megs fix of my own. Looks like you've had a busy 2011 so far... and you're as gorgeous as ever. When I see all the places you've been on the right of this site, it makes me sooo happy. You and Scott have carpe diem'd for the rest of us that only know one place to vaca and that's Disneyland. Am I just sooo boring? Ohh how I miss you, but please know even though we hardly see each other, you're my numero one amigo that can make me laugh harder than anyone!
XOXOXOXO
King Ryan the Wicked
FYI Grimaldi's is about 7 minutes from my house. We had George's 40th bday party there!!!
Post a Comment