...said like that memorable episode on Friends!
Today I want to discuss blogging etiquette. What do you do? Since it hasn't been around for years and years, little is known of the appropriate-ness of the who, what, when, where, and how of blogging. Some of those are easy. For example, "who?" Anyone can have a blog. "When?" Whenever you want...if you wanna blog while on vacation...hey, it's your vacation! Now the "what" about blogging is the debateable matter. What is appropriate to blog about? Is it OK to blog about your neighbors (as long as you don't use names?) How about to vent the frustrations of dealing with your spouse for the world wide web to see? Do you dare post your political persuasion? Is it OK to air dirty laundry in the name of "expressing your feelings?" How about co-workers? We might be afraid to even mention where we work for fear of the firing that has been going on over comments left on Facebook by employees.
For example, there was a post recently that I read that was rudely bad-mouthing my little sister. If you know me, you know that to me there is loyalty and then there's my family and our definition of loyalty. So help me Ronda, if I hear/see/read/sense any kind of "dissing" on my family members (including my Lee side), I will open a can of such severe whoop ass that you may not want to live to see another day. :) I have been known to take on rude school principals, neighbors three times my age, spineless play directors, incompetent doctors, and sassy friends who were "just kidding." I have delivered SWAKMAs and even dealt with something that may or may not have involved law enforcement. You can say whatever you want about me, but you even look funny at my family members, and you better hope the devil's angels are with you that day! To say it chapped my hide, would be an understatement.
It got me thinking. Is anything free game in the blogging world? Notice I did not bad mouth this person in return, only to tell people to leave her alone and let my sister know that I have her back!
My personal thoughts on what is appropriate is the following: Don't gossip, don't talk about others just by saying "a certain someone." Yes, it's YOUR blog, but it IS on the WORLD WIDE WEB. You should assume that the WORLD might be reading your blog. Even if your blog is private, if you have a problem with someone, pick up the phone and talk to them--don't gossip and talk around the subject or person especially on your blog. Use some common sense and tact. When in doubt, remember Thumper..."If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
"Let's talk about what YOU do do" in regards to blogging.
8 comments:
OOoooo Whoo can diss her?? If SWAKMA in order--I AM IN!
I'll definitely remember this one. I think it'll help me decide what to and what NOT to post. We all get irritated at times and do just want to hash it out because there is usually at least 1 out there on the world wide web to validate us! Thanks for making me think about what I do. Some things just aren't alright! You're a great sister! XOXOXO
Yeeeaaaahhhhh..... I know very well not to piss you off. ;) Seriously though, I have had to hold back a few times with whatever I "wanted to say", knowing I would likely offend a few people who may or may NOT read it. Obviously, anyone can say anything they want to -- they just need to realize that it IS out there for the whole world to read and put together.
You're a good sister, Megan. xoxo
hee hee. do do.
Dude I was there when when the dissing went down and I was livid too! I told her to let me at this skank-o-pot-a-mus! Keep the sutpidness to yourself, freako! I'll take her out, don't worry...I''m anonymous so she won't know its coming....
You and I are so much alike. You mess with my family you mess with me! I'm sorry someone was rude to your sister. I know a guy who knows a guy :)
You mess with the best, you die like the rest. LOL! You take good care of me. You my main squeeze!
AMEN!!! Seriously... grow up people. How sad is it that people have nothing better to do than talk smack on their blog.
Post a Comment