Sunday, March 15, 2009

We bleed BLUE!

Navy blue=NY Yankees (AL) Royal blue=Chicago Cubs (NL)

We love baseball! This past weekend we went to watch the Cubs play during Spring training. They play in Mesa, Arizona and it just so happens that that is where Scott's grandma, Nanny lives! It's fun to go to the games but seeing Nanny is the best reason to go to Arizona!!! We went with Jonny (my youngest brother) and his awesome wife, Mendy. I'm telling you, we had a flippin' blast!!! They are great traveling companions! We had so much fun with them. We laughed and laughed and laughed some more! Jonny and Mendy are the ones with my little nephew named Wrigley. So obviously Jonny is the brother that is obsessed with the Cubs! It was SOOO funny and entertaining watching him like he was a kid locked in a candy store! He was goin' nuts! The games didn't start until 1:05 pm and we were in line by 10:15 am--not. kidding. WOW! That's the best time to go though; when all the players are out and warming up and they just start to play the music and just start to cook the hot dogs and the smell of that, etc. We got some autographs and got to talk to some of our favorite players.
The weather was beyond perfect about 80 every day. It was so hot to us that we took full advantage of Nanny's pool. Now that was a fun afternoon! I love sitting in Nanny's swing in her backyard and reading a book--with the smell of the orange blossoms from her orange trees and the birds making their little chirping noises, and all topped off with her early-morning pot-smoking neighbors. Nothin' better!!! Everytime I visit Nanny I love Scott's mom more and more. Nanny is Scott's mom's mom. I learn new things about mama Lee when I sit and talk with Nanny. Family is so, so important to me and that includes knowing the specifics of my spouse's family. I like to remember the details of present family and family that we come from.

Without further adieu, here are the infamous (more than famous) pictures from our trip:

How funny is this? In Orderville (some tiny little town in Kane county) they park this bronco with a blow up "lady Sheriff" in the driver's seat...LOL. I made Jonny turn around and let me get a picture! Priceless!

Dude, do you even know who this is? It's Ryan Theriot! Pronounced Terry-o, but they call him Ryan The Riot--talk about a nice guy! Holy cow, he talked to us and hung out and signed tons of stuff. HE IS TOUCHING MENDY'S SHOULDER!!! Wow we were excited about this! I asked him to sign my shirt--the one I had on. He said and I quote: "You might have to take that shirt off, Sweetie!" Um, OK. I, of course did NOT. BUT it did cross my mind, until I realized what I had on underneath...more for HBO and Big Love to mock!

Where's Waldo? Can you see Scott and me in the crowd? I'm sure you can find me, probably by the size of my ginormous mouth! The lady next to me with the turquoise hat was all but humping my leg to get closer to the field!

Here we are just leaving Nanny's house!

Ya, the gates opened and Jonny and I sprinted to get this spot to stand and watch batting practice!

How fun huh? GO CUBS!!!

This was the day they played the reigning World Baseball Classic champions, Japan (notice the Japanese characters under the sign "Media"). It was so fun! Jonny and I started chanting Fuk-o-dom-e rah, rah, rah rah rah...repeat...and none other than Fukodome, himself came over to sign a World Classic baseball that was thrown to Jonny! Fukodome is from Japan so was playing with them but plays for the Cubs during the season, so it was extra cool!

Man we were excited! Jonny let me wear his "precious" hat!

Jonny was just chattin it up with people in line and then some camera guy came over from Channel 12 in Phoenix and wanted to interview him...I swear he gets picked all the time for stuff like that! It was hysterical to watch!

Sweet Georgia Brown--it's Derrek Lee! He is my relative, I'm sure somewhere in the family history research we have to be! He only signed one of the days and it was down the row from us. I really wanted his signature right next to my name written on my mitt. But alas, he never came over to us. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that I yelled "Mr. Lee, bring your fine a$$ over here and sign my mitt!" hmmm

This here is Larry--the pitching coach. He is signing a little baseball hat for our new found friend "Eddy." He was a riot and we hung out with him for a few hours!

"MR. DEEDS!" This is Doug Deeds he plays backup outfield. He also was the runner for Soriano during this game. This guy is a STUD. He was so nice! He told Jonny he would bring him out a ball and about 30 minutes later (when we thought he had forgotten) Deeds came running out to give Jonny a ball. I got him to sign my mitt. DEEDS #66!

Jonny and me! My baby brother 10 1/2 years apart, but same age in maturity! LOL

What? I just wanted to get a picture of the backs of their jerseys. Ya know, their numbers. You thought it was for their "buttocks?" You're sick!

Alfonso Soriano (who was a Yankee, then a Ranger, then a National and now a Cubbie) was a hard sell. He wouldn't give us, or any other fans the time of day. Poopy pants!

So pretty much the most expensive hot dog you'll ever have...but you just gotta do it!!! And some nachos, and maybe a churro, and for sure a soda, and some ice cream in a souvenir hat, etc.

The afternoon we spent in Nanny's pool--Scott showed us all how it was done! He climbed on top of the roof and...

...did a cannon ball!

Jonny was cleaning Nanny's pool and thought he was so cool (unintentional rhyme). He saw a wasp flying around and he tried to catch it in this pool cleaner thing and got all turned around and actually fell into the pool!

It was HYSTERICAL! He did NOT listen to his good wife who suggested he change into his swim trunks. Of course in his pockets were keys and a new phone...that has now been replaced...again!:) Worth every second of blowing up this picture to see Mendy's face laughing!

Trying to dry his shorts after the aforementioned incident--seriously so funny!

How cute is Mendy? I just adore her and what a great wife she is to my brother and what a great mom she is to my sweet nephew Wrigley!

You can't get anything cuter than this! I love my Scotty he is so much fun to be with. Ya, I love him, but ya know what? I actually really like him too. He's my favorite person to be with at any time!

Mendy took on the challenge to jump from the roof and of course did...

...an "X" jump!!!! OMG We were dying...look at her ripped muscles..impressive!

Here is Jonny trying to get up on the roof!

Getting ready to jump...

...right out of his shorts!!! LOL

We may or may not have spoiled our dinner by eating two dinners...I just can't turn down Sbarro's.

What a couple of hunks!

More of me and my bro.

Can you find Jonny in the crowd?

Me with Ryan Theriot behind signing like mad!!! Gosh we all got so sunburned!

Now can you find Mendy?--Who is just about to jump out of the crowd and sit on that green tarp to get her picture with The Riot!! Love her!

I love this picture. Don't mind the bright blue sharpie in my hair. But hey, you gotta have those ready for autographs at a moment's notice!!

THE GREATEST NANNY IN THE WORLD! THANKS NANNY FOR LETTING US STAY AND HANG WITH YOU!!!

On the drive home, Scott and I got out of the car so we could continue the Lee tradition of running across the bridge over Glen Canyon dam. And yes, of course Scott threw a rock in the water even though the sign said: "Do not throw any objects from the bridge!"

Scott and I went to Mesa a year ago at this time and I'm glad to have that year pass. This was our 2nd now annual trip! We had so much fun and made memories that will always last! Thanks Nanny for everything and thanks Jonny and Mendy for being so dang cool and such great friends to travel with!!!

17 comments:

J♥M said...

Gosh... I don't know what to say! I'm laughing and so glad that while I've been home sick, you've been out livin' it up! You sure know how to have a great time wherever you are! Admirable! Happy ThankPaddy's today!

Mendy said...

Oh can you just post on my blog yours seem so much funnier!!!! I got to get those pics of the pool on my blog. SO FUNNY I am just sitting here laughing and oh I could look at all the pics so many times. That was the funniest trip yet I think!!!! Love ya and the town was orderville in kane county not to correct but WOW that is a scary sad place!!!! And we did forget one thing you did not do an X-jump that whole trip so ya your up!!!! GO CUBBIES!!!!

Alicia said...

I am so so jealous! Man, I miss AZ. It's been way too long. And, dude, you're getting more and more beautiful. Seriously. I kind of hate you a little bit.

tammy stailey said...

LOADS OF FUN!!!! I too love baseball! I love it more than any other sport out there! Jonny must have felt like he was in heaven!! He has that starry eyed look in all of the pictures. And falling into the pool? Mendy's face is hilarious!! It looks like a great trip!!!

Oh and thanks for bringing back some of that AZ weather! I really appreciate it!!

Laurel said...

HAPPY! HAPPY! HAPPY! I love that you guys did this again, and all these warm weather pics just make me even more excite for OUR excursion in less than 3 weeks. It looks like you had a blast, and all your signatures are so cool! Love you guys!

Adam said...

Wow it looks like you had a blast, it reminds me of when we (the neighborhood hoodlums) would jump off if my roof into the pool. And BTW that is a Bronco not a Blazer.

Austin, Lindsey, Blake and Maya said...

Hey Scott!

How is the bank treating you? I left suddenly because i was put on bed rest. My little boy is now here. He arrived on Feb. 17th. I got the link to your blog from Rochelle's, I hope you don't mind. If your wife is still making beanies i need to get two baby boy beanies and a little girl beanie (1 year old). I don't care about the colors. I will stop by the Orem branch and get them from you. Just let me know when I can get them and how much they will be. It looks like you guys had a blast in the nice AZ weather. Keep in touch and check out my blog www.vanottens.blogspot.com

Lindsey Van Otten

Lisa Nielsen said...

I love your photos!! You guys look like you had the best time. I love the picture of "the numbers on the back of the jerseys"...uh huh, ya right...I mean their butts. Baseball players always have such nice butts:) I can't believe Nanny lets you guys jump off her roof. What a cool lady! We're coming next time!

Jennifer and Jacob said...

Another trip? Are you guys ever at home? That looked like a blast. It doesn't matter where you go and what you do, the two of you are so fun that everything is a blast...glad you had fun!

Michelle said...

Okay, so I've NEVER had the balls to jump off that roof. I keep imagining landing on the fence and making a Michelle corn-dog... ouchee. Well done Nielsens.

Stephanie said...

Looks like fun! K Megs I am surprised you didnt jump of the house ! :)

Kim P said...

What a cool coincidence that Justin and I are headed to Mesa next month to catch a ball game too!!! I doubt we will have as much fun as you two though!

Are you so excited for the new season and the new stadium!!?? It's gonna be great!
Go Yanks!!

Kim P said...

What a cool coincidence that Justin and I are headed to Mesa next month to catch a ball game too!!! I doubt we will have as much fun as you two though!

Are you so excited for the new season and the new stadium!!?? It's gonna be great!
Go Yanks!!

Ashlee said...

Sheesh! What a blast. You guys always seem to be living it up. Glad you had a great trip!

Tara said...

HEY-I wanna go on a trip w/you and scott. Maurice loves you guys and thinks you are hilarious-it would be the best trip yet! We are planning an Alpine Peds girls trip to VEGAS! You should become an "honorary" AP girl and come with us!

Todd and Ashley said...

WOW how fun!!! It looks so warm in your pictures in Arizona. I need some serious sunshine and NOW!!! I am sick of being pasty white and seeing every vein in my leg. Looks like life is treating you well, I am happy to keep in touch this way. By the way, if you are in town over conference weekend I will be in Utah for my sister's wedding. I wanted to get together for breakfast with the old work girls if you can. Call or text me if you want to come. Love you!

spideybrian said...

That's a way cool trip. We like visiting our family in the AZ. It's crazy because Kayleen's older brother is the doctor for the Cubs when they are in AZ for spring training.