Monday, March 9, 2009

My dad can beat up your dad!

This past weekend, my pops was one of eight people to receive the prestigious 2009 BYU Alumni award. Um, he's pretty much the coolest guy EVER in the world!!! Seriously so darn accomplished and so darn humble! I love my dad and am SO proud to be his daughter!

Behind every amazing man is an amazing woman...enter my mother!

There was a wonderful article written about him...I'll include it at the end of the post :)

My never-miss-a-family-event-ever-supporting husband, Scott--my hott tamale!

Ever wonder where the Nielsen kids get their blue eyes? Check out these genetic beauties!





I absolutely LOVE this picture. I just love my dad so, so much!

These girls have been my sisters since the day we met! April and Lesa mean the world to me and are a couple of my biggest fans! We could sit and talk for HOURS! We have so many fantastic memories!


April and her husband, Daryl Berlin

My dad's youngest sister, my aunt Cheryl and her husband, uncle Monty--love these guys!

My dad's sister, my aunt Phyllis and her husband uncle Peter--love these guys!

Anyone who's anyone knows this BYU gal, Janie Thompson. She is a legend in her own time. So talented and sharp as a tack at 88 years old! There is a picture of these three from years ago posed like this, so we recreated it.

My pops and cute baby sister, Melinda

More candid ridiculousness that I have come to think is hysterical...

From tallest to smallest: Me (5'10") mom (5'5") and Melinda (5'2") LOL

Of course after Melinda took candid pictures of me, the roles were reversed and I took a picture of her I like to call "Miss Congeniality." Man we laughed so hard--seriously we think we are so funny when we're together! But of course a lot of the time it's only the 2 of us that think so.
It was a fantastic day to reflect on the awesomeness that is my dad! The following article appeared in the program and I wanted to document it here for family history:

Norman L. Nielsen (BS Economics 1963) Orem, Utah
BYU was a defining experience for Norman L. Nielsen, especially when he helped Janie Thompson create what is known today as Young Ambassadors. He represented the university on many domestic and foreign entertainment tours, and it isn't surprising so much of his life has been in the arts.
After graduation, Nielsen directed the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii and was president of SCERA Center for the Arts in Orem, Utah. While serving at the SCERA, he built the amphitheater and implemented programs to turn the Orem landmark into a lively community center. He served for 22 years and received the SCERA's Lifetime Achievement Award.
Nielsen also served in the Utah House of Representatives for several years and has been involved in many government programs. During his career, Nielsen was recognized for his achievements, and his award include Orem's Arthur Watkins Citizen of the Year and the Community Citizen of the Decade award from the Kiwanis Club of Utah County.
He was the state chair of the Miss Utah Pageant for nearly 20 years and was president of the Miss America State Pageants twice. One of Nielsen's noteworthy services in the pageants was co-founding, with his wife Rosanne, the community service/platform issue program that was later adopted by the Miss America Organization and all 50 states.
Among his many church callings, Nielsen and his wife served a mission to Washington, D.C. North, and he was a member of the committee that wrote the current Young Women's Personal Progress Program.
The Nielsens have 8 children and 12 (soon to be 13) grandchildren.

15 comments:

Mendy said...

That is so so cool I love it. And by the way you look beautiful in that blue. Only 2 more days!!!!

Dottie Stay said...

Good one Megs! I love the picture of you just like nurse diesel and company. I seriously think it is adorable. Unlike the very scary award recieving of mine. You are right, Dad is AWESOME!!! SO is momma. Well, now we know where you get your genius personality and goodl looks. Instead of tallest to smallest, you should have done thinnest to fattest. LOL! I am workin' on it, however we all know, I am just not what I used to be. Well, I will miss you guys, but you have a BLAST with the Wrig a maroo. I can't wait to see pictures of that lovely man with his name sake. You are the best. What would we do without you! Let me rephrase, what would I do without you! I hope that more then the two of us think we are funny, cause eternity is a hell of a long time!

Laurel said...

Aside from the fact that this is SO COOL about your dad, can I just say...

YOU LOOK SOOOO HOTT!!!

I love your hair like that!

Hannah Jones said...

ditto.
and amen.

Your family is amazing!

Mary said...

Wow! What an achievement! As a side note, I bet your dad knows my dad. What a small world! Janie is like a Grandma to me (she'd prefer I call her Aunt I'm sure) and I spent many a Thanksgiving with her while at BYU. My dad was asked by Janie to be the headliner of the YA when it was first organized back in the 60s. So if your dad worked with the YA then I bet he totally knows my dad! How funny.

Anna M. said...

Congratulations to your dad! What a great honor and great achievement! Thanks for sharing all of the fun pictures! =)

Stephanie said...

Thats awesome! I love that picture of you and your dad

tammy stailey said...

OMG, your dad is amazing and so is your mom. I have so much love for them. Even more because of their amazing kids. Especially you and Mindy! And Mindy needs to stop with the fat thing! She is totally not fat! Congrats to Paddy!

Denise said...

Might I just add to the accomplishment list that your parents were THE best missionaries ever to grace College Park Ward with their presence. Things were just not the same after they left. I just love them! You look so much like your Dad that it is funny. It must be lovely to live near so many family members.

LEE BIEN said...

What an amazing father! I loved reading about him receiving this wonderful award. Way to go!

Alicia said...

Love it. What a cool, awesome thing and what a great Daddy.:)
Rojo is right, you are SMOKIN'. (And so is Melinda. Tell her to shut up.)

Ashlee said...

Wow! So many accomplishments. What an amazing father you have. Heck, what an amazing family you have! No wonder you are so great. Look at your genes!

Lisa Nielsen said...

Go Big Papa! I wish we could have been there to support. He is such an awesome dad! I love all the photos and Megan, as everyone has noted, you look gorgeous!!! I'm loving the super blonde and the purple/blue top.

Rachel said...

Your family keeps getting more amazing every time I find out a little more about them. I knew some of those things about your dad, but not in such detail. He deserves that award! Congrats to him!

J♥M said...

No wonder you're so awesome! Great dad's have great daughters! So cool!