Thursday, November 13, 2008

Webster's definition of "mother":

"Something or someone that gives rise to or exercises protecting care over something else; origin or source. Maternal tenderness or affection."

I want to write down this experience so that I never forget it. I hesitate because it is sappy and honest and personal, but then this is for no one else but me, right?

Deron blessed sweet baby Duncan in church a couple weeks ago like I posted. I always love to watch baby blessings. Usually the dad holds up the baby like Mufasa holds up Simba and then returns to the row where he was sitting and gives the little baby to his mama. This blessing was no different to begin with. The blessing was so sweet, and I felt such a wonderful spirit about this little person! Some of the things Deron said just moved me to tears. I looked down the row and gave Shiner thumbs up. Deron brought Duncan back where my sweet sister, his mother, takes her baby in her arms and cuddles the sweet one. It reminded me of a scripture in the Bible, when Mary is cuddling her sweet baby, Jesus. "Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." (Luke 2:19) I have always loved the thought the scripture brings to my mind. I thought of what my sister might be pondering about. I'm sure she ponders all that this little person will be and how lucky she is to have been sent such a special baby. I'm sure as she is sitting, surrounded by family, she is grateful for those that have come to support her. I'm sure she also is grateful for the husband who just blessed the baby by the power of the Priesthood. And acknowledges what a blessing that is, to act in the name of God, and have that in her husband. All this is what I thought Melinda would be thinking and experiencing. Within a couple of minutes, to my complete shock, my sweet sister put little Duncan right in MY arms! I held on to him for the entire 45 minutes remaining in the meeting. My sister, being the sweet, sensitive, and caring friend that she is, gave ME the chance to think all those things--while I held sweet Duncan in my arms. I rocked him and smelled his skin and smoothed his curly head of hair. I couldn't hold back the tears any longer, they just ran down my cheeks as I thought of all the things I'm sure a mother would think and feel at a moment like that. Scott had his arm around me and for just a split second Duncan felt like ours. I didn't feel bad about hogging him the whole time but Scott, after 45 minutes, demanded that he have a turn to cradle this sweet baby. It was such a special moment. One that I will never forget and one that I thank my sister SO much for letting me have. I tried to thank her over the phone the next day, but had a hard time trying not to cry. So while she can't hear me sniffle away the tears, I want to tell my sister that that moment was a priceless feeling. One I have never felt before and that felt so good! Thanks Shiner for letting me share that moment with you. What a great sister and friend you are to me! I love you more than you will know. Thank you for letting me "mother" your boys! 123

21 comments:

tammy stailey said...

Oh my gosh! I am trying to write through my tears. So if something is misspelled it is not my fault, I cannot see the keyboard or the screen. You are so strong! And we pray everyday for you guys to have what you really want. You are an excellent "mom". Those boys, and all of your other nieces and nephews and your friends children are lucky to have you in their life for all of the love you have for them. We feel so blessed to know you and Scott. You guys are the best!

J♥M said...

ditto to what tammy said! Wowza!

Karin said...

So glad you have a sensitive sister- and are able to have such close relationships with your nephews (and niece...s).
love you!

Chris and Melanee said...

Yep...bawling like a baby over here!! I get really uncomfortable being mushy but I just want to say that I am so grateful to have you in my life and you TRULY have no idea what an example you have been to me. You are so giving and sweet in always asking me what you can do for ME...when it should be the other way around. I freakin Love ya Woman, and I pray for you everyday!

Elizabeth said...

You are so blessed to have a sweet sister who is sensitive to you. When it happens for you will appreciate that little baby so much more because of all this. If you ever need to talk I'm here!

Stephanie said...

Megs I love you and you are an amazing sister, wife, friend, aunt, and mother. We always keep you in our prayers and I know one day you will hold a little bundle of your own. love ya

Michelle said...

Megan, this is awesome. I look at my neices and nephews like they're my own... and I hope you feel the same way about mine some day too. Thank you so much for sharing this experience!

Barry and Rochelle said...

Crap, I just have to be one of the millions that gush over you. But I just have to tell you that it's not really fair. You seriously are amazing. You're a much better mother than most, I would dare to say, and so it's just not fair. I think I'll ask Heavenly Father right now what the deal is? You make me want to go kiss my own sweet boy a hundred times more, but at the same time I want to clone him and give you a Jude too. It's not fair. I think about you very often, much more often than is sane, but maybe I'm a little bit better of a mother because I know you is all. That's definitely it.

Johnson said...

Wow, Megan...I'm brought to tears. I am so glad you were able to feel those feelings. It will be even better when Scott blesses your baby and hands him back to you...I'm praying for you and hope this little spirit finds you quickly!! Love ya!!

Markelle said...

According to Webster's dictionary, you are a great mom! You take care AND protect so many people. I really respect you because even though you don't have children of your own, you are nurturing your motherly talents and preparing yourself for when you do have your own...

Alicia said...

Oh Megan--- I really believe you will have your turn. I want it so badly. Thanks for sharing this. It's a beautiful moment. I have a theory about moments like these... I think God wants us to have a glimpse of that kind of happiness so we can recognize it in our own lives later on. There were a few moments I had with Blaine when we dated that I already had "experienced". Does that make sense?
Anyway, I love you both so much. You are a wonderful aunt/uncle. Jake couldn't be luckier!

Dottie Stay said...

Alright, You beautiful blonde pineapple. What are you trying to do to me. You just left my house after watching the boys so d and I could get out and about. My heart is so full, and it can't help but over flow every time I see the boys with you. I loved Deron's threat!!! I loved even more that when ethan was going to bed he hugged you and told you he loved you very first. You are special. (and crafty) :) What would I do without you?!?!?!?! I wish I could do so much more for you. I don't know that I make THAT much of a difference in your life. What I do know is that you have made mine!! From the very begininng you have alway made me feel like I was important. What's mine is yours. Literally.

Lana said...

Hi Megan
Thanks for telling me about your blog, now we're blog buddies :). And thanks for playing with Max during church today, I think he's in love with you (or maybe just your bracelets! :)

Jen said...

Megs,
You ARE the definition of a mother. You rise to protect and care over others! Heavens knows you have been there for me and I think I can speak for Min when I say you have protected and cared for her! You are the sweetest person I know. From one mother to another--I love you!

Jen said...

PS--
Seriously, my boys are all yours. Come and get them. Parker has been throwing up on me for the last two days straight. I am running out of my motherly instincts to rise and protect!

Mendy said...

I Love You meg and you are just so strong and you will be a great mother and you will feel those things. You are the best aunt all the kids just love you guys. Love you tons

J♥M said...

You're right on with that definition!:)

Laurel said...

Okay, I feel like such a DOOFUS for having not read this before tonight. Megan, you have really hit every point about motherhood right on the nose, and I think you need to always know that that is because you ARE a mother. I don't care what any birth certificates, doctors, or acquaintences say... You are a mother. And you will always be a mother, and will one day (soon) get to physically mother a child of your own. I feel so fortunate to be a part of the love that you have for your nieces and nephews, and I know that Alicia, Mindy, and your other brothers and sisters feel just the same way. I love you!

Tara said...

YOU ARE A MOM!! Soon, you will have the sweetest baby in your arms and know what you have always been is a mom! We all love you and can't wait for that day when your blog or call tell us you got him/her! I'll put in my request to Heavenly Father for you-he listens pretty close to me so I've got an "in" for you! =)

elshmobelsh said...

Megan, I hope this isn't insensitive, but thank you for helping me see the things I take for granted. I'm alway grateful in those moments, but maybe not grateful enough. You are amazing how you stand strong through tribulation. Thank you for your example to me and for sharing your chalenges so that others can grow.

Jen Tornow said...

I love the relationship you and Melinda have. You are both such awesome women, and I watch you from afar and hope my girls will be as good to one another as you two are!