Tuesday, September 16, 2008

September 11, 1973

September 11th is a big day in my life. The next few posts will highlight specific September 11ths (how is that for incorrect grammar) that have been monumental!

I start with September 11, 1973..the day I was born! Weighing in at 8 lbs. 3.5 oz. and 21 inches long. I was born in Kahuku, Hawaii where my father was in charge of the Polynesian Cultural Center and my mother taught school at the Church College of Hawaii (now BYU-Hawaii).

Very first photo ever taken of me! So ya, color photos were not "invented" yet--so my photos are all black and white as a child. While Scott's, of course, are all color...hmm. My mom said I was so chubby when I was born, that she thought I looked "a little oriental!" Thanks mom, I'm sure that was awkward for dad! :) I was born with lots of jet black hair, that eventually fell out and I have been blonde ever since!


This was my blessing day. My mom looks awesome--I was only 3 weeks old!
I may have had a few chins.
All four of the girls in my family wore this blessing dress, even my two oldest nieces wore this dress.

Kristen my oldest sister is on the left and Inger is on the right. They both look so happy and apparently I was in some sort of trance/coma when this was taken! Holy Treena from Dooly and the Snortsnoot!

I remember exactly where this was taken on the BYU-Hawaii campus. The flower behind your right ear means your are "available" and the flower behind your left ear means you are "taken."
Kristen is on the farthest left and then Inger in the middle and then me, and my hott mama, of course!

I gotta give a shout out to my mother for birthing me and the rest of us ALL c-section! I am so lucky to be a part of a family of 8 kids, two parents, 6 in-laws, and 12 nieces and nephews that I love, and that love me! We are all really close and love to spend time together, BY CHOICE! It is awesome!

11 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for posting those pictures. Your mother is seriously so beautiful. I guess that is why she was almost Miss America! She still looks very similar. We miss your parents so much. They were the BEST missionaries. I hope they are doing well. Happy birthday.

J♥M said...

Cool stuff! I'm glad you were born and am thankful for the inspiration you are for following your dreams.

Anna M. said...

What fun memories and pictures. It's funny about hair...I was born blond (and had blond hair throughout my childhood) and have had dark hair the rest of my life...guess you just never know what you're going to end up with! =)

Stephanie said...

I am so glad that you were born. I think you are such a beautiful person inside and out. You are so much fun and very funny! Happy Birthday!

Laurel said...

I am SOOOO glad you were born! My Scotty has never had anyone so amazing in his life until you came along. These pictures are so fun.

Dottie Stay said...

Thankfully you were born. What would I have done without you! You ditched me in Heaven, but don't worry, i was hot on your trail. Mom is amazing! How did she do it, and better yet, why did she do it? I am so very glad she went through all she did so we all have each other.

Tara said...

You were stoned even as a child?? Nice-J/K. You were and are a hottie! Happy b-day you freakin animal!

Lisa Nielsen said...

I love the black and white photos. They are all so beautiful. You Nielsen girls are all gorgeous!!! I want to live in Hawaii!

Wendy said...

I did speak to you on the 11th, I just now saw this post and how can I not comment?? You are so awesome Thelma, I don't think I can even express how awesome you truely are!! Happy, HAPPY Birthday!! I too, do NOT know what I would have done without you being born. huge xoxoxo, Louise!

Hannah Jones said...

You're the best!! I love seeing these pictures! Happy Birthday!

Michelle said...

Your mom looks so much like Melinda in the bottom picture... weird! (You're all hotties)