Monday, June 16, 2008

Such a proud granddaughter!

So my family (minus me) is apparently famous! :) Here is what I found in the Deseret News this past weekend--Caroline was in the Deseret News two weeks before! I am so proud of my outstanding family members! So happy to be related to such superstars, especially this one--my grandpa, Colonel Jack Tueller!

WWII veteran says music saved his life
By Tad WalchDeseret News
Published: June 14, 2008


Sixteen American fighters dove into that valley, guns trained on 25 German Panzers.
The tanks had been on the run since D-Day nearly two weeks earlier, rumbling across France in retreat. The attempted escape clearly was about to fail.
Except for one bone-chilling, repulsive, inhumane fact. The first clue Utah's Jack Tueller had that something was wrong were the strange colors he saw on top of the Panzer through his gunsight.
Red. Purple. Yellow. On a tank?
As his P-47 Thunderbolt roared closer, the source of the colors suddenly was appallingly apparent.
A French mother and what Tueller assumed were her three children were being held at gunpoint on top of the tank.
The same was true for every tank.
"The Germans knew the mindset of the American boy," Tueller said grimly this week during a speech in Provo.
The psychological ploy worked. All 16 fighter pilots climbed out of their dives without firing.
All 16 men seethed.
Then their radios squawked with a dreadful order: The women and children were expendable.
"I still remember," Tueller said. "Nobody'll ever know what it was like."

Last week was the 64th anniversary of D-Day, which makes next week the anniversary of the day Tueller fired on that tank — and the woman and her children.
Afterward, Tueller flew back to his base and pulled out of the plane the trumpet he took with him on more than 100 missions he flew in World War II and Korea.
His buddies reminded him of a sniper outside the camp. If you play the trumpet, they said, he'll single you out and you'll get shot.
But Tueller figured he didn't have a choice. A member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he wouldn't drink to let off steam like his buddies. He had to do something.
"I was so sick with the image of that innocent woman," he said.
He blew "Lili Marlene," a German soldier's love song popular on both sides during the war. Tueller played it hauntingly, heartbroken and lonely and longing for his wife and her safety after suffering through a crushing reminder that he was part of a war that was taking the lives of millions of innocents.
"It was an act of desperation," Tueller said.
A few days later, Tueller learned the Americans had taken some German prisoners, including the sniper. The man told Tueller he cried the night he heard the song.
"Music," Tueller said, "saved my life."
Retired Air Force Col. Jack Tueller still plays that song on the very same trumpet that flew missions with him out of England, France, Germany, Austria, Denmark, Belgium and Holland. He plays in the evenings in his Bountiful neighborhood, and couples tell him that after a rough day together, they walk a little closer when they hear him play, hold hands a little tighter.
Tueller saw other tragedies in a war of millions of them. He didn't think what happened to him was a big deal. Then he reconsidered.
"It was a big deal to me," he said, "because I proved the power of music."
And he's still at it.
Published June 14, 2008 Flag Day

Because of this man and men and women like him, I live in this free country

Patriotism is alive and well in the hearts of all his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren! I love him, I love this country and I am proud to be an American!

11 comments:

Rachel said...

He is the sweetest man. I'm so thankful that I'll never have to know the horrors of war, but it's because of his sacrifices, that we are free today. Thanks for sharing.

Todd and Ashley said...

WOW is all I can say about your gramps. He sounds like such a stud. I can't imagine what he went through. What a hero. I also love your past NY pictures. You are so adorable. I miss seeing you and hope to get together before I move away for several years. You are the cutest thing ever!!!

Denise said...

So cute. I remember the pictures before, it is great to read the story that goes along with that cute man. Is he your mother's father or your father's dad? You didn't stalk me because you were too worried about how fat you thought you were. Crazy girl! You were the only client that ever came in in a sports bra and biker shorts!!! Fat indeed.

Wendy said...

Ok, so now that I'm in tears - how do you even comment on that? Let me just say this, he is amazing and if there is ever any question on where your strength either comes from, or where you need to get some, read that article again!! He is adorable and I want to personally thank him! xoxo

Kristin and Guy said...

AWESOME post. Thanks Megan!

Michelle said...

Wow - great post. Your family is so amazing. I just got teary-eyed reading about a guy I hardly know! Thanks for sharing.

Dottie Stay said...

I love that man! He is the greatest, and so are you my love!

Alicia said...

What an amazing story and man! Blaine and I have really been into the WWII era lately. We've been watching "Band of Brothers" and I even watched "Saving Private Ryan". It's a killer. My point is, I've actually been thinking about your cute Grandpa Jack these past few weeks. I think it's so cool and inspiring that your family has such a connection to the military. I really don't know what it's like. Thanks for the post, sis!
Love you!

Hannah Jones said...

THANK YOU JACK TUELLER!!!
The things you endured and witnessed and fought for have blessed the millions of Americans. Even me.
Thank you for what you've done.

Kirk and Joan said...

What a neat story - I saw it in the paper. Wow, you come from great stock!

J♥M said...

Thank you for sharing that!
THANKS to all the great men and women who have fought and are still fighting for all of our rights! I am blessed to live in AMERICA! As a member of a military family as well... I know that freedom isn't free. God Bless you all who fight to keep us free!