Monday, October 1, 2007

Look who's ready for October!




Yeah! Finally the time of year Scott lets me "dress-up" the "furry kids!" This was Frank's costume last year--hopefully he will still fit into it this year! We are trying to decide what Bronx should be--do we go with the Super-Frank theme...or do something totally different? I'm leaning toward dressing him in all green and having him go as "kryptonite!" I know this is of the utmost importance so let me know of any ideas....STAT! I love answering the door (with Frank) on Halloween and checking out all the costumes....man have they gotten fancy or what? I remember the good ol' days when my mom would just have us go down into the basement and look through the big cardboard box of "dress ups"--hoping to find maybe an old sheet for a ghost, or some hand-me-down dance leotard, or possibly something from the "lost and found" from the latest Miss Utah Pageant (shiner...you know you're laughin!), or maybe you beat out the other 7 brothers and sisters and got to the poncho and sombrero first! There was always the chance of having my older sister, Krissy, let me wear her current cheerleading outfit--but alas, I'm pretty certain the majority of my Halloweens were spent as a hillbilly or bum. You know the kind where you use mom's eye liner to black out your tooth routine?! Just something simple and something my mom didn't have to buy...now days it seems like such an extravagant event...I mean look what I've done to my own dog???!!!! I must say I redeemed myself from my hobo days and won the Halloween costume contest at work a couple of years ago--it was a work of art...I was the Chiquita Banana lady (Carmen Miranda) and made my costume myself (ya that'll never happen again!) Including a large fruit basket I balanced on my head and complete with fruit runts I hot glued to my shoes! I must say it was a hit :) The photo below is of that event...along with my favorite princess--no, not Snow White, but Melinda Stailey and her two little dwarfs--not that they are that short, or midgets by any means... I mean they're kids--all kids are short, right?...but min honestly this has nothing to do with mom's comment! LOL





13 comments:

Dottie Stay said...

Happy Day!! Love that frankenstein! He is truly my superman! I think I may go as Lois this year, and maybe you can let me borrow Frank. What a wonderful lovr boy! I still think you should get a saddle for Frank and dress Bronx in a cowboy outfit!!!

Karin said...

I'm lovin' the pic of Frank- reminds me of Scott when he would run around in his under-roo's!:) (ok, I don't have such memories of Scott, but I'm sure he did!) Good luck with the costume decission for this year. I'm making Elizabeth an EASY tutu so if you want your dogs to go drag, I'll send you the pattern...

Scott and Megan said...

gosh karin you are hysterical i adore you...can you move in with me?

Laurel said...

IT'S SO TRUE!!! I actually wore a cardboard box with wrapping paper on it, accompanied by ribbon on my head to dress as a PRESENT for Halloween one year! Hilarious! Actually, I'm incredibly impressed at my mother's creativity. She and Sally... MAN! Btw I love your Chiquita Banana costume!

Shellie said...

Love it!! Winston was a pumpkin last year and we'll use that same costume for him this year. I've got 2 costumes for Abby and am not sure which one she'll be. I've got a cute pink bunny or a pumpkin. George wants her to be the pumpkin with Winston but she looks soooo cute in the bunny costsume. What do you think???

Michelle said...

Whatever you choose to dress your "furry kids" in... I like the idea of a theme. Superman and Kryptonite, Peter Pan and Tinkerbell, Mickey and Minnie, Ketchup and Mustard, you get my drift. Maybe Brad and I will have to come trick-or-treating just to see what you cook up.

And I distinctly remember one Halloween when my mom made me wear fat man pants, suspenders, and a hula-hoop in the belt loops to keep it taut. All the 5th graders used it as a basketball hoop and threw wads of paper and other missile weapons down my pants all day long.

jennie said...

I love that Chiquita costume! You are a babe!

Rachel said...

So cute Megan! What a beautiful Chakita Banana Lady you made, I'm impressed with the costume.

Alicia said...

Okay-- since we are telling sotries about my mom, I was once a.....(drumroll, plese)........PENCIL! Yup, a pencil. I wore blac shoes and leggings with a black turrleneck, sprayed my face and hair pink, and wore a big cardboard "pencil" poncho thing. Hilarious. Of course, Cara Meservy was also a pencil, and we made jokes about who was the #2. haha
Love the doggie costumes, and you are always hot at Chiquita!

Alicia said...

Sorry about my typos... That's waht I get for trying to sneak blogging in while I'm "teaching".

Dottie Stay said...

Thanks for the clarification. I was worried for a minute! Just kidding. I know you love the boys, and the best part is they love both of you guys more then anything in the whole wide world. You are the greatest ever!! Really truly, who compares to you....NO ONE!!!

Jen said...

Oh my gosh. I am falling off my chair right now. I was ALWAYS the hillbilly. Seriously, after five children before me, my mom just stopped getting creative. And the fruit basket on top of your head is a crack up. Where did you find it?! And how do I get a hold of it so I can dress Spencer up as an orange and Parker up as a banana? And Rich, well, he can be an apple.

Anonymous said...

I always read these blogs about a week too late, but if you are still needing ideas for a costume for Frank and Bronx, I suggest Raggedy Ann and Andy. Can you see Frank with a red mop-head wig? Oh my gosh. Let's put our head together for this one. (By the way, the Carmen Miranda costume was supreme.)
Love,
Mama Lee