Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Ode to the Lee Familia

It's time! I just can't go another day without saluting my in-laws! I am very, very lucky to not actually just like my husband's family, but really love them and look forward to getting together and seeing them as often as possible! Scott's parents (Dave and DeAnn) are a rare find! I honestly feel like they are good friends I have known for a long time. Talk about embracing me like one of their own...good gosh, DeAnn could tell me to go to my room and I would! I get confused sometimes if I've married my brother (ok, not really)--but I am that comfortable around the Lee fam! I call his parents for advice and just to chat and most recently for sanity checks (MY sanity)...and without fail, Dave answers the phone asking "Is this my favorite daughter-in-law?" And no matter how many times it's said...it NEVER gets old, in fact if he ever didn't answer the phone like that...I may just have a breakdown. And Brett and Matt are screwed because I WILL ALWAYS BE THE FAVORITE DAUGHTER-IN-LAW! :) I am not above bribing Dave with money, vacations to Merida or Guatemala, newly purchased seasons of 24, and/or a new 9mm! Without starting to cry...too late...DeAnn has given me some of the best advice of my life including: "You knew I was a snake when you picked me up!", and "Those will always be 33 year old eggs!"--She is a genius! Not to mention WONDERFUL--she (along with Dave's help) created and birthed my most excellent husband!!!! Now moving on to siblings...let's start with Alicia..well because this is my blog and I can do what I want on my blog! She was the first "Lee" I met and I must say, laid the groundwork for the rest of the "Lee" encounters. I'm pretty sure it was because of HER approval and nice comments that I was so readily accepted by the rest of the clan. Plus we lived in the same apartment complex, were both hott, single, unappreciated females, and met at the Classic skating rink--both loving Rusty! I'm pretty sure the bond was solidified when we experienced the "She looks like a turkey" comment in church together! I was never the same after that! lol! Alicia has taught me to have an open mind and readily accept others as they are. I love Alicia! Ok, we'll go in order of age...next comes Laurel--whose little girl, Isabel, is in the picture with Scott! Laurel is one of the most genuinely kind-hearted people you will come across--the word "thoughtful" does not do her justice! There have been days that have been shizzy for me, and I will get a card from her, or a text, or some other form of contact that I desperately needed. I really deep down believe she cares about me! Plus she has been good enough to share her genetically flawless baby with all of us! Another bonus is her love of shoes...Scott says I can get as many pairs as I want as long as I don't pass up Laurel--hello...I could buy a pair a day for a year and still be safe :) Laurel has taught me to pay attention to the smallest detail and take the time to create a flower arrangement, write a note, sew something etc. I love Laurel! Next sibling up is Michelle...who happens to be freaking hysterical! I will never forget the time I decided I would always love her. Scott and I were dating and then we were "on a break." I heard something about him while we were "on our break" that made me slightly upset!!!!!...I happened to run into Michelle and Alicia at a movie theatre and as I approached them, the first thing out of Michelle's mouth was..."Ya, I called my brother and told him he was an ass!" Love, bonding, and allegiance to Michelle were instantaneous! I will also never forget that Buffington kid eating it on the ice...so happy to have shared that with you! Although Michelle is so fun-loving...she is deep! She dropped something off at my house that I now carry in my purse and read EVERY DAY. She has such a tender heart! Michelle has taught me to let things go--to not stress about every little thing! The greatest compliment she has ever paid me is to tell me that my house looks and feels "lived in." She has a good balance in her own personal life and I admire it greatly! I love Michelle! On to Brett--Mr. Responsibility! He is the kind of guy you would totally have a crush on in high school! The tall, handsome, basketball player who totally has his head on straight...doesn't drink, doesn't swear and yet has this sense of humor that if you're lucky enough to encounter...you'll laugh for days! He is the most put together straight arrow 18 year old I have ever met...and it has seemed like he has been like that since he was 15 when I first met him! He is a spiritual rock of Gibraltar. He is always so good to let me ask him about his "women" and puts up with me trying to be as funny as him:) I have learned from Brett-- perseverance! What he wants, he gets--and what he doesn't want...he chooses not to be a part of and doesn't give a crap what other people think! He does what he thinks is best for his personal growth and gives everyone else the bird (in a religious way). I love Brett! Last but certainly not least...is little Matt well, and Matt. This guy is WAY beyond his years in both social skills and sense of humor. He has always been so good to let me hug him and treat him like he's 5. He has a very impressive vocabulary...especially for a 16 year old! Whenever he stays with us, he is always so very polite. He's the kind of guy that is friends with EVERYONE! That's get along well with EVERYONE! And makes EVERYONE feel comfortable around him. When I hang out with him, I feel like we're almost the same age! I have learned from Matt to blaze your own trail! It's hard being the youngest of 6 high achievers and yet he has his own distinct personality and goals. I am always impressed that he chooses to do things exactly like his siblings and things completely different. I love Matt!
So this has turned into a Novella that clearly needs to be published...but I just love my other family and am so glad that I have two wonderful sets of "parents" and "siblings!" LEE LIFE--GOOD LIFE!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, Megan. This is the nicest "ode" I've ever read (and I'm a Keats fan!). You are so unbelievably thoughtful. We are so lucky to have you for a sister. I love our family's dynamic with you around; I really don't think we'd be fun without you. I mean, really, who else would tell Dan Weatherby stories about "someone" who kept her husband's balls zipped up inside her purse? You're the best. I love you!

Jen Tornow said...

Gee, I feel like I'm missing out! Are they adopting? :) I'm so glad that you have 2 great families. I mean, it takes a lot to compete with the Nielsens, so you totally scored! But as lucky as you feel to have them, they are dang lucky to have you!

Dottie Stay said...

I agree with Jen! They are lucky to have you! They are a great family, and I know that you love them a ton. I am so happy for you. It makes a world of difference when the "other" family is just as great as your own.

Laurel said...

I can't believe how lucky WE are to have you in our family! You have said the nicest things about all of us, and I especially want to say thank you for what you said about me. Wow! What a fabulous sister you are!

Rachel said...

Wow- you are lucky! LUCKY!!! Honestly though who wouldn't love you? You are awesome!

Alicia said...

I can't freaking believe that I only JUST read this post!!!! So I know I'm late in saying thank you, but seriously, THANK YOU!
You are the very best sister a girl could ever ask for... I don't deserve all the nice things you said about me, but I am so happy, elated, ecstatic, (on and on and on) that you chose my brother so I could have another sister.
YOU are my HERO!