Thursday, June 9, 2011

U2 360' Tour SLC

So, yeah this is Scott here making a rare post to the family blog. I feel as if I NEED to acknowledge the awesomenous that is U2, and the helluva show they are known to put on.

I've always been a hugemongous fan of U2 and have seen them live a handful of times (always worth it btw) but was disappointed to know that I was GOING to miss the 360 tour due to us being out of the country. But, God bless Bono's back surgery they postponed this leg of the tour to accomodate MY being able attend their show! And, thanks to my buddy Gavin having a hookup for tickets last minute too :)

Seeing as how the tickets came about in a last minute fashion I knew that I had to quickly find other U2 oficionados to attend the concert with me.....



I had to look no further than my sis Alicia! As a U2 junkie herself she had no problem with the short notice and hopped on board. Oddly enough we both were at U2's 97 PopMart Tour at the same venue (Rice Eccles Stadium) only this time we were on speaking terms. You see, high school was a trying time for the elder Lee siblings. Recently in telling a story to a high school friend I mentioned Alicia's name and he literally did a double take and said 'Oh yeah, I forget she's not the enemy anymore'. But really, it was great to see U2 with her and tons of fun, thanks Leesh! It's almost as if we have now come full circle.... thanks to the melodic genius of U2! Oh, and that is 'The Fray' on stage behind us in the pic (opening band).


This is just a shot of the stage setup... Pretty amazing, there were strobe lights strewn all about, spotlights shimmering off disco balls, multicolored lighting that changed the entire 'claw' color scheme (see pics below) and for total funzies check out this link that U2 features to show EXACTLY where fans were seated. Zoom in and out to get a cool outlook on the arena.


K, enough talky talk... here are a bunch of pics of the show without interuption (mostly)


The stage as U2 came out and started the ROCKIN'

Here are the stage lighting variations they had as it actually became dark enough to showcase the claw's capabilities... There was also a huge screen behind the band that would stretch and slide around to add different effects.



U2 has always been a band that involves the crowd and this was no exception with moving walkways and multiple jam outs on the outer stage. Even the drum kit was on a moving platform that rotated, ahem, 360'.


Pretty rad (yeah i just used 'rad')

these pics don't do the discoball spotlighting justice...
The stage was unreal and the music was fantacular! here is the set list they played as well....



  1. 1. Even Better Than The Real Thing

  2. I Will Follow

  3. Get On Your Boots

  4. Magnificent

  5. Mysterious Ways

  6. Elevation

  7. Until The End of the World

  8. All I Want Is You

  9. Love Rescue Me

  10. Happy Birthday (to Bob Dylan)

  11. Stay (Faraway, So Close)

  12. Beautiful Day / Here Come's The Sun

  13. Pride (In the Name of Love)

  14. Miss Sarejevo

  15. Zooropa

  16. City Of Blinding Lights

  17. Vertigo / It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)

  18. Crazy Tonight

  19. Discoteque / Mofo

  20. Sunday Bloody Sunday

  21. Scarlet

  22. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone

  23. ENCORE: One

  24. Blowin' In The Wind / The Times They Are A-Changin'

  25. Where The Streets Have No Name

  26. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

  27. With Or Without You

  28. Moment Of Surrender

    I thought this playlist was AWESOME! They literally played a song from all 14 of their albums and a few side projects. I heard rumblings from some friends who were there that aren't U2 diehards (they shall not be named for blaspheming) that they, U2, didn't play the 'hits' and that is why i dug the show SO much. It was an eclectic mix (which I have now put as a playlist on the ol' i-pod) that covered the entire band's career, from 1979-2011 pretty friggin cool if you ask me! Thanks to Megz who said 'How can you seriously miss a U2 show, I'll just stay home and you get some friends to go with...' Seeing as money is tight and U2 isn't cheap she was TOTALLY COOL to encourage me to go enjoy my all time favorite band, while she kicked it solo for a few hours. Till next time U2!

5 comments:

Markelle said...

It was pretty flippin amazing and I am not even a U2 junkie! Bono is a dream boat, and I just hope you took some of his kick-A moves home to Megan.

Jen Carter said...

Am I the only person in the world that didn't make it to this show? Sheesh. Glad you had a good time, and glad Megan was awesome enough to send you :)

Tara said...

Best.Concert.Ever! I lvoed the playlist too-it was all over the place and Bono rocked all of it! You just got my all pumped up again just thinking of it!

Ryan and Janelle said...

I heard it was a fabulous concert! Glad you and Ryan ran into each other. It's been a long time.

LEE BIEN said...

I could always tell what kind of mood you kids were in as teenagers by which U2 song you were playing at the moment. I'm glad that you and Alicia had such a great time. You've been best buds through college and married years and it makes me smile! Love you.