Monday, March 8, 2010

Man, I feel like a woman!

May I start with a beautiful thought from this great book called The Bible (um, Alicia you really should read it...will you read it?) There are these things called The 10 Commandments. The one I am thinking of is #2.
It reads:
"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."
Most often I focus on the "loving my neighbor part." It's important to love and to serve and care for others. It really is so rewarding and fulfilling for both parties . However, what about the "as thyself" part? Do you love, serve, and care as much about/for yourself as you do your neighbor? That is NOT a selfish thought or idea. Everyone seems to be spreading themselves so thin and running around insanely trying to help others (kids, other family members, parents, literal neighbors, friends in crisis, etc. etc.). To a degree that is awesome and a lot of times necessary. But for just a minute, I think a lot of times we forget about ourselves. I get so caught up in others in crisis that it starts to affect my own sanity. I'm not saying let your world go to hell and sit around naked eating 17 boxes of Sees chocolates EVERY single day (however, there IS an appropriate time for just that).
What I AM saying is, do you cut yourself as much slack as you do others? My personal answer is "no." For some reason I hold myself to a higher standard and demand than the rest of the world. I tend to compare my "worst" self with others' "best" selves.
Why is it that as women, in our minds we tend to think it's not only possible but also impressive if we are able to:
a. Work a full-time flashy career and receive "most outstanding partner" in the law firm EVERY year for the past 11 years. (Well-deserved, of course, after my 6 years of graduate school).
b. Have 3.3 children that are gifted, athletic, well-liked, flawlessly obedient, attractive and graduate high school at the age of 14. (I mean hey, Doogie Howser did it!)
c. Be president of the PTSA and the Girl Scouts of America, and still hold the record for the number of Samoas cookies sold in a single day.
d. Work out with Jillian Michaels religiously EVERY single morning at 6 am because it is SO realistic to think we have to have the body of an 18 year old!
e. Deliver at least 4 casseroles by noon and single-handedly set out every neighbors' garbage can because tomorrow is, of course, garbage day!
f. Have my house SO clean that when I do host the US Embassy dinner, the guests are simply in awe.
g. Volunteer your afternoons to teach English as a second language because after all, you can help so many different people seeing as how you speak Chinese, Africanz (Kenya dialect), Navajo, and Finish. Did I mention Spanish as well?
h. Save the whales.
Okay you may be laughing, but truth be told, there is a part of us that expects this (to some degree) out of ourselves.
Why? Why? Why? It makes living my life so much more difficult and complicated! :)

17 comments:

LEE BIEN said...

1. There isn't a (sorry Nessie!) LochNess monster. 2. Sasquatch is no more than a big hairy (non-human) creature. 3. A perfect Mormon woman does not exist. As soon as you think she does, peel back a layer and you'll discover a flaw or two. I think the trick isn't to expect perfection but to learn to accept that if you just try your best to make it through a day then eventually you might become so. Ultimately. Like wa-a-ay in the future. I used to really stress about this "am I doing enough?" mentality but now I've learned to think differently and it's okay with me.

Mike and Lara said...

Wait! You were kidding? I totally thought you were serious! (just kdding)

Loved your post! I do have to remind myself of these things! I am so much more forgiving of others and their flaws than my own. I love ya, Megs! YOU are the greatest! Stay just the way you are.

Larabelle :)

Dottie Stay said...

You forgot world peace. SO osrry. But it was a funny post pluc a real post, and omgosh so true post. I just ate dinner here at 8 pm wondering why I am so tired and hungry. I haven't eaten anything since breakfast! Um, yeah, it is all about me from now on, and I like it. After all I am the only girl in my family, and I am going to milk it for all it's worth! Great post. Much to think about, and even more reason to tell the world to LMC!

Dottie Stay said...

You forgot world peace. SO osrry. But it was a funny post pluc a real post, and omgosh so true post. I just ate dinner here at 8 pm wondering why I am so tired and hungry. I haven't eaten anything since breakfast! Um, yeah, it is all about me from now on, and I like it. After all I am the only girl in my family, and I am going to milk it for all it's worth! Great post. Much to think about, and even more reason to tell the world to LMC!

Laurel said...

Oh, my gosh. Seriously. Every time I start "thinking" I've been getting so much done, I'm really on top of things -- I start to have a nervous breakdown. These moments frequently coincide with "that time of the month", and I don't mention that to diminish the intensity of said breakdown, but for one, YOU know what I'm talking about, and two, that just makes everything more emotional and intense to go through! j

That said, I just have to say A-MEN, my sister. Let's give ourselves a break!

Kirk and Joan said...

Good thoughts - Life got so much better when I stopped beating myself up about all the things I wasn't doing, or wasn't doing good enough. One of the benefits of age I guess.

Alicia said...

I love this.

You have inspired me to take more time for me.

And to read the New Testament.

Brett is a douche.

Tara said...

Umm, I acutally asked that exact question in Sunday School 3 years ago adn I got the crustiest looks from everyone...My exact question was, "How can you love others if you don't love yourself?" People seriously thought I was going apostate! Thanks for finally giving me a great answer to a question that has bugged me for years! You're such a Mormon scholar!

Stephanie said...

I love you and your post. It is so true. Someone said if you house is messy you are doing something right. I live by that these days :)

J♥M said...

Thanks for the great lesson today! I needed this! xoxoxo

Christina said...

I love your posts Meagan! I am a silent lurker who loves what you write! This reminds me of Sister Beck's talk a few years back. Good post!

Holly said...

I am currently seeing someone who is teaching me this valuable principle. It's so much easier said than done, but is exactly what our Savior would want...for us to love who we are as much as He loves us. Love you Megs!

Lisa Nielsen said...

Great post Megs! I think we women all do this and needed to hear this reminder to treat ourselves better. I love it. Love you tons!

Elizabeth said...

Hey Megan- I've been wanting to see how you are doing for awhile now. I tried to send you an email through the comment you just left on my blog but it wouldn't let me. I need your regular email address! Also, I'd love to read your personal blog if it's ok! Email me at elizabethreed_@hotmail.com.

Mendy said...

LOVE YOU MEGS!!! I so totally agree am I doing enough here or there did I talk to this person did I leave them out and so on it really does take over your life and in all reality it is about you and your happiness....So from now on screw the world and trying to do so much lets lay low and focus on our lives and making our selves better for us not for anyone else!!!

Thank you sometimes I feel guilty even sitting down for a moment to blog but I shouldn't right???

Rachel said...

Love it Megs. While I'm on my blog crying about not being able to keep up with it all, you are on yours telling me that I shouldn't have to, and that I am, in fact, breaking a commandment for trying to ;) Go easy on Jillian Michaels though, she's the one thing I CAN keep up with (and my hubby's lost 25 lbs to show for it.) I haven't talked to you in like FOREVER, but I think about you all the time. Love you!

Ashlee said...

I'm sorry, all I can think about is eating 17 boxes of Sees chocolate naked. I have GOT to try that one day. Probably not today seeing as I live with my parents....