
Happy birthday to you Abraham Lincoln, I can't believe you are 200 years old today! I'm so glad you were born! Thank you for being an example of tenacity and integrity. You have been a person I have looked up to for years. I appreciate your great moments in life while leading the country, but what I appreciate most are your moments in life that you struggled and struggled and struggled and never gave up. You were a quiet man with very loud dignity. You were 6'4" being our tallest president in history with a size 14 shoe! And even at that height, I think your soul was even taller. These are some of the things I love about you:
*You were the first major leader in our history to favor extending the vote to women. In 1836--12 years before the first woman's rights convention had even convened--you gave an Illinois newspaper a statement endorsing "female suffrage."
*You suffered from deep depression, even though you would tell stories and jokes to friends and family.
*You were married to Mary Todd Lincoln, and had four children; Robert Todd Lincoln, Edward Baker Lincoln, William Wallace Lincoln and Thomas Lincoln. Robert was the only one of your four sons to survive to adulthood.
*You and Mary shared a love for animals. You adored your horse “Old Bob” and he was incorporated into your funeral procession. You were fond of pets, and owned horses, cats, dogs and a turkey. You and Mary had a dog named Fido and many other pets in the house as they were an important part of the Lincoln family. Even though you were strong, a talented wrestler, and proficient with an axe, you disliked killing and harming animals, even for food.
These are some of my favorite things you have said:
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."
"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
"I am not concerned that you have fallen; I am concerned that you arise."
"Whatever you are, be a good one."
Well here's to you Abe, you're one of the good ones! The things you have done for the country of America were crucial and changed the events of history! You believed in all being created equal and abolishing slavery and discrimination against race, creed, religion, and gender. Our current president, should be grateful to you! Can't wait to meet you and hug your tall frame and tell you thank you! Not only for your contribution to the country but for your example of never giving up!
8 comments:
Great post! Mat just checked a book out at the library on Saturday about this wonderful man. It's been neat all week to learn more things about the life of this fantastic President! I learned quite a bit from your post!
You know that Abe will love you! Heaven is going to be a party. And you are a good one of everything you do! Love you! I didn't know he had four boys. And I told Deron that if we have another boy I want to name him Abraham.
Uhm... Do you want to teach my Civil War class? The teacher I have now knows nothing about Abraham Lincoln except that he freed the slaves! Good History lesson!
Hmm... I took your question about whether or not you two were cool enough to go to aspen grove seriously. So, I scanned through your blog, and found a picture of you with a bunch of fruit on your head, and another of your hubby wakeboarding in a suit... YOU ARE IN!! Congratulations on your coolness! :)
Great Post!!! Thanks for helping remind us all of such an awesome leader!!
BTW, it's Darwin's Birthday today too.
Megan, I didn't know you had these such feelings for good old Abraham. He is a stud you are right. I hadn't been on your blog in forever. I love all the family niece and nephew pictures. Those kiddies are adorable. How are things going these days for you and the Scott fella? Sure miss you!
When I was a little girl we had two national holidays, one to honor Lincoln and one honoring Washington. Forget President's Day, let's give each of these men their own day back. Enough with the PC garbage; they were outstanding, above and beyond.
Jacob's ancestor is John Wilkes Booth.....the man who shot and killed Lincoln. Isn't that terrible? When I found that out we almost got a divorce :)
Post a Comment