Monday, September 22, 2008

September 11, 2003

This September 11th was indescribable! It is the best birthday present Scott has and probably will ever give me!
Scott and I had known each other about year and had been dating, but "were on a break" (still debatable!) We (and by we, I mean ME) had talked about our age difference. When we met, I was 29 and he was 22. I had no idea he was that young, until he told me a little later. I was hoping that what we had been doing was "legal!" LOL! I wanted him to live his early twenties and live them up, because I had and had some great times. I was getting really attached to Scott, and at 29 was sick of just "playing the field." I didn't expect Scott to feel that way at 22, so I had expressed to him that I thought we should stop dating because I was really getting attached and looking for something that would go somewhere and I didn't want to pressure him.
Let me take you back to the summer of 2003 when we were "friendly dating." That summer is the summer (July) that I broke my butt (that is for another post!) and Scott had become my little care giver. I was confined to a couch unable to move my left leg for about a month.
The Cardiology clinic I work for pays for me to attend a heart conference every year. I had decided to attend the one put on by NYU and surprised Scott for his birthday (Aug 21) with a plane ticket to go with me. He had never been to New York and I wanted him to see my favorite place. The conference happened to be over the week of my birthday. We had a blast! I can't even begin to tell you how much fun we had! We flew out a few days before the conference started so we could really do NYC right!
On Wednesday September 11th 2003, Scott asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday. I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Get all dressed up, go eat somewhere perfect, and then take a romantic walk to the Empire State Building. Then ride to the top, and show Scott my favorite place to stand for a fantastic view! The following pictures explain EXACTLY what happened.


This is in the Edison hotel lobby (my favorite hotel) at the beginning of the night. We got all decked out in our black suit and dress, for what I thought to be just a birthday celebration...

We had dinner at my favorite restaurant, Virgil's. I ate a ton, and Scott said he wasn't all that hungry, suddenly.

Scott said to show him my favorite place and view...you can see the Chrysler building in the background. He told me to go over and stand and he would find someone to take our picture. (He later told me he was looking for some lonely, single girl that would think this was great! He handed this girl the camera and said, I'm about to propose, so will you just take a ton of pictures.) He walked over to me and took me by both hands (thus the look of wtf)--it felt awkward, like a prom pose.

CLEARLY, at this point:
Scott: "Megan, this night is perfect, I'm in love with you and I have something to ask you." (There was a lot more to it then that, but I have those treasured words written down and choose not to share them :)
Megan: (in my head) what the %^&* is he talking about--what could he have to "ask me." We have NOT ONCE talked about the big question, looked at rings, and oh my good gosh, my dad is going to kill you for not talking to him first!


As he got on both knees and asked me by my full name, "Will you marry me?"


Ya, this is me in SHOCK and my sweet priceless Scotty in tears!

He slipped something on my hand...I had NO idea what this ring even looked like. Later he told me that he had picked out what he thought looked like me and then taken my little sister, Melinda to give the approval. He made her swear on her child's life (Ethan) that she would not breathe a word! At this point in the proposal, I mentioned that we had to call my dad, and he said, "Not to worry, I took him to lunch yesterday before we flew out, and asked if I could marry you!"--He had covered ALL his bases! What a gentleman!

So then the reality started to sink in and the tears and excitement were unable to be contained any longer! This is me saying "YES, YES, YES!" Scott still says he never heard me say yes, but I know I said it THREE times!

Megan: "How did you ever pull this off...you talked to my dad, you got a ring, you made it through seriously tight security (this is only 2 years after 9/11 and on the actual day) with a ring in your pocket?"
Scott: "I carried it in my sock the whole time."


Here is Scott's all-time favorite picture! Because here he is giving me the greatest hug ever, expressing his open love for me, and I am off in vanity world, checking out what he actually picked out as a ring! Priceless eh? Slightly embarrassing.

We have this picture framed and up in our New York loft room. It is a movie-perfect kiss!

Me suddenly realizing, someone is taking our pictures and there are people clapping! We had about 30 people that gathered around to watch and then congratulate us. Total strangers! I wish I knew who the girl was that took our pictures! She was so sweet and bawling right along with me! I mean, who gets their entire engagement photographed play-by-play?! I'll tell ya who, someone lucky enough to have Scott Lee as their proposer!!



This is standing in front of a mural on the bottom floor of the Empire State Building. We walked out onto 5th Ave and called both our sets of parents. I then floated back to my hotel! I screamed to some cabbies standing outside their cabs that "He proposed!" To which one yelled back, "smart guy!" How nice! This was BY FAR the greatest birthday of my life (30th birthday no less!) Few stories ever compare to this proposal. Scott made an unimaginable dream come true for me that night! Wow, I am really lucky--I'm glad it's just the two of us 4 EVA!!

16 comments:

Anna M. said...

What an awesome proposal...way to go Scott! =)

tammy stailey said...

That is an amazing story. And amazing place to propose in! I am in tears! Scott did such a great job! Yay!

Dottie Stay said...

The only secret I have ever kept in my life I will have you know. Just kidding. I was so excited. It was honestly one of the best days of my life too. I just always want you to be happy! I love you!

Hannah Jones said...

I can totally see the "wtf" face- by the placement of your jaw!! I've seen that face before!
You both look stunning, and have got the worlds best engagement story EVER!!!
You guys amaze me. I love you!!

Michelle said...

Okay, so I've heard this story so many times and it just keeps getting better! I have tears streaming down my face and I don't know why (damn pregnancy). You guys are so perfect for each other. Thanks for making my big brother so happy!

Denise said...

Those pictures are SO sweet! (I'm going to give that advice to my boys if I am lucky enough to know when they will propose.) Thank you so much for posting them, they really made me cry!

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I did kind of think I was the reason for the deletion. Glad to know I wasn't. The funny thing is I'm not a D or a R and have no idea who I will vote for! And about the reason that it was taken down, don't sweat it. It will happen...at the perfect time.

Lisa Nielsen said...

I have never seen those pictures. I love them. Scott is such a hopeless romantic...Wow! So special! I'm so glad you two got on the same page;)...Cracker Barrel.

Becca Jo said...

holy shiz! I almost started crying

Wendy said...

2 round-trip tickets to NYC = $1000.00, dinner at Virgils = $75.00, 2 tickets to the observatory = $40.00, watching Megan stare at her GI-NORMOUS ring while Scott sobs into her neck = PRICELESS!!! HEE, HEE - I LOVE that pic!! OMG - I totally remember when you got home and we were at work and you showed me the pics and just told me to watch the play-by-play un-fold, and it was just that, an absolute play-by-play. You sort of "hid" your ring (if that's possible) and just told me to take a look. I could NOT believe what I was looking at. I remember literally JUMPING up and down and hugging you and crying - it was as if I had just been proposed too!! That girl did such an awesome job, she literally took a TON of pics. There isn't enough space in cyber-ville to post all of the ones she took. I love them. Once again...nice,nice,nice job Scott!!

Karin said...

Awwwwwwwwwww! How is this the first time I've heard this? LOVE it! How sweet. How perfect.
The begining of your story- as you talked about July of '03 brought me back to the first time WE met- at a Kempton family reunion where you and Jimmy caught up on ol' times and the rest of us sat back in gossip mode at "how cute that girl is... how outgoing she is... how sweet she is... how brave she is to be HERE in Cedar Breaks!...this must be going somewhere..." We are lucky you put up with the whole gang. Love the story- love you!

Rachel said...

You made me cry! That is the sweetest story with fabulous pictures to boot! You two are awesome together. LOVE IT!

Elizabeth said...

What a cute story! We miss you guys!

Stephanie said...

That is so romantic. I love that you have photos to document it!

Laurel said...

HOO - freakin - RAH!!! I still remember "the" phone call we got that night. So happy. We love you guys so much!

Tara said...

Can he give Maurice some tips, because my man asked me out of the blue while we were sitting in my car. RANDOM! 10 years later and I am still bugged that I don't have a good story like you or Melinda!
WHATEV! You guys are freakin fantastic

Emily Widdison said...

wow, that story is amazing! I'm not even going to tell Kyle, it will just make him feel bad:)