Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Our Sugarshack!

I was looking for some pictures of our place and realized, I hadn't taken any, so while I took some, I thought I would post them. We live in the basement of one of the old, cool Sugar House houses. It's quaint and cozy and we referred to it as a love shack, but then got creative and we've been calling it the sugar shack ever since! This is the front room. (Don't mind the huge cougar rug-aka Frank).

Adorable kitchen with really cool tile and bead board. Highlights: A new microwave oven we splurged on for our Christmas present (our previous one didn't do popcorn...a must have for Scotty). What I like to call my "Holly Hobby Easy Bake Oven." Inger and I had one we shared when we were little girls and it was totally rad! This one is a little bit more advanced--I can bake 4 sugar cookies at a time, and if I start in the early morning hours that 100 watt light bulb will get 'er done by dinner time!
I love the bathroom the most. I don't know exactly why. The washer is behind where I am standing to take the picture and the dryer is around the corner from the toilet in the "storage room" under the stairs next to Scott's guns. We try not to let the dryer get all too hot.


Coziest, most functional bedroom I have ever had. We use our bookshelves for dressers as well as our dressers for dressers. Our mattress is HEAVEN. It is 100% memory foam. We put the queen mattress in the water bed frame and viola! There is a second bedroom/den but it seems to remain in disarray most of the time, but I have my digital piano in there and our mini me love seat.

"Does this TV make my butt look big?" So we couldn't get much money from this out-of-date television so...we had to get a huge clock to make sure it didn't get a complex. The layout of our place makes a circle and it's genius so there are quite a few windows and lets in a lot of sunlight.


We sold our home in Lehi and were able to get all our affairs in order. Dangit it feels so good! We are done with thousands and thousands of infertility medical bills and Silver State Helicopter shtuff. I feel like a drug Lord now paying most things with cash. We have learned that we can live with SO much less. I don't miss a thing (OK, except for maybe the dog door) and sometimes even think we have too much stuff here.

8 comments:

Denise said...

I'm so proud of you, Meg! I hope to get out of our unemployment debt ONE of these days. I think it shows so much character to downsize and really get a handle on one's financial life. You go, girl. And, now that you have all this extra cash, you can come for a visit...or maybe a girls weekend, your treat?

Did I really just write, "You go, girl."? What is wrong with me?

Dottie Stay said...

Love it! Jenny worked at the sugar shack when we were in high school. Good memories. I need to get my sorry self over there! I died laughing at the cougar rug comment! Oh I love those two little hooligans. They are welcome for a play date all the time. I am so proud of Bronx! He is such a big boy!

7packofbearss said...

I LOVE the sugar shack! It is like living in a giant donut. And you know if we could have figured out how to fit we would be living upstairs. Okay so you lucked out with that. You would have been HATING me by now.

Tara said...

Sugar Shack is fantastico! Love it and the cougar rug!! I love feeling like we don't need everything and we are ok with that! =)

Chelsea said...

You are really really really funny! Love your sense of humor!

J♥M said...

I'm so glad that life is good there! But I really miss you! My kids still talk about the boys and I just can't look at your old house when I drive by. Poo!

Alicia said...

I feel like I've already commented on this post... weird.

Anyway, your new place is darling. I love it. Nuff said.

LEE BIEN said...

How is it that I am just now seeing this post? I want to go on record that I love the Sugar Shack. You guys have made it a cozy, classy, home. There is a feeling inside that welcomes you the minute you walk in the front door. I love the personal touches and hey, I love you! Kudos to you both.