What a beautiful morning we woke up to on Wednesday June 2. June 2nd in Italy is their Independence Day (kind of like our fourth of July). We just happened to pick the perfect city on the perfect day! Before we left for Siena, Scott got up early and took some awesome pictures right after it had rained.

These are more of those beautiful olive trees and I just love the shining pavement of the rain.


This is one of my favorite photos of the whole trip. Scott took the picture of these flowers through...

...the hole in the trunk of one of the old olive trees!

Scott took this picture from behind the glass of the outdoor covered canopy so that the sign of the Villa San Crispolto shows. I just think Scott is so creative!

A beautiful misty morning in Passignano sul Tresemino.

I HAVE NO SHAME! I had a hard time getting going this morning. Scott easily adapted to the time change, for some reason this day was especially difficult for me. This picture is so bad that it's awesome! LOL This is the only picture we got of our suite. You can kind of see the beautiful wooden doors and the romantic linen all draped around the bed.

We stopped at the COOP again before we headed into Siena. This store was so fun and so local! Scott is holding the "cart" that we packed with our new found favorite treat,
Ringo goals. We bought 8 boxes! They were delicious and we only shared them with our favorite little kids--the Bearrs' kids for watching the dogs!

This is the CHEESE section! Scott's face is one of sheer bliss. These "shopping carts" cracked me up!

"Hello, Superman?" When is the last time you saw a working phone booth?

Siena is THE greatest, most quaint, adorable little town I have ever visited in my life. It was by far both of our favorites city. There were other sights that were our favorites, but as far as locations and feelings of cities, SIENA was the greatest. Population is only 60,000.

Cars are forbidden beyond this archway into the city. It made the city even more enjoyable!

Can't get enough of the streets, shutters, cobblestone, locals, etc.

So here is a really good idea...just use a loin cloth! :)

More of the "I can't get enough of these" streets.

More gorgeous architecture that just is in the middle of every town!

Is it just me, or are you too in love with the streets of this little city?

Here is the Torre del Mangia, Italy's tallest secular tower. The chapel (soon to be seen) at the base was built in 1348 as thanks God for ending the Black Death (bubonic plague) after it killed more than a third of the population of Siena. These days, the chapel is used solely to bless the Palio contestants, and the tower's bell rings only for the race. Watch the second scene of
007 Quantum of Solace to see the Palio races--incredible. They only happen every year on July 2 and Aug 16.

We are entering
Il Campo. This is the heart--geographically and metaphorically--of Siena. The piazza square (which is really a circle) and its buildings are the color of the soil upon which they stand...a color known to artists and Crayola-users as "Burnt Sienna!" (You can thank me later for that bit of trivia next time you win Trivial Pursuit!)

This was our all-time favorite Duomo! This is white and VERY dark green striped marble. This structure dates from 1215!

This is a great shot of the rounding of the piazza of Il Campo.

These adorable little Italian men were all having coffee and starting talking/winking at me (clearly just because I was a blonde American) so we took a picture with them. Their apartment was primo that overlooked the entire piazza.

We found the cutest cafe in which to have lunch. We probably spent 2 hours just sitting, enjoying the view and the incredible food. The view behind me was indescribable. It overlooked this huge circular piazza with the striped Duomo in the background.

Scott ate the spaghetti carbonara and I had the prosciutto ham and buffalo mozzarella. Flippin' awesome!

We sat there for so long that our sweet waitress brought us some complimentary desserts that were nothin' but chocolate and cream and lemon stuff I couldn't pronounce or describe. They also brought us some complimentary after-lunch drink called "limon." I asked her "lemonade?" and she said yes. Well, it was far from American lemonade. One small sip and my lips and esophagus were on fire. There might have been 200 proof in that glass. Lyle and JaNae were more than happy to take them off our hands.

I am lying on the ground in the middle of the piazza...but what a great shot!

This is a great picture, not only of the four of us, but of the circular Il Campo--isn't it cool?

With it being their Independence Day, there were so many locals out and people just sitting and relaxing on the ground.


I thought this statue was hysterical. Not only do I think breast feeding OPENLY in public is just WRONG, but here is some fat pigeon waiting his turn. HA HA

This is in the front of the
Fountain of Joy. The fountain shows God creating Adam by helping him to his feet. It's said that this reclining Adam influenced Michelangelo when he painted his Sistine Chapel ceiling.

We saw the most adorable Italian children. They had the most beautiful olive skin and dark hair with beautiful dark eyes.

Another great shot of the people just lounging in the plaza. You can kind of see Lyle and me in the middle.


There was ALWAYS laughter!

So here is a great shot of the church with the tower in the piazza
.

This was our walk up to the striped Duomo. They had the most unique painted plates.

Then of course there was a statue of Elvis...or IVLIVS rather
.

More beautiful buildings and churches on our way up the hill to the striped Duomo.

We couldn't figure out if this was Abraham almost killing Isaac or Arthur in Sword in the Stone

A REAL wishing well--with real water and everything!

Loved how this place just put up some cardboard made tables on top of stairs and ta-da, it's a cafe!

Here is the front of the striped Duomo. Isn't it incredibly ornate?!

Of course, there were people out with their dogs and I just
had to stop! It was awesome to have a fellow animal lover in Lyle.

Isn't that just incredible?!

It cost 3 euros to go inside, and it was something I was not expecting and can hardly describe
.

Once again, the intricate marble awesomeness!
Shooting straight up through the dome with all that natural light from the sun.

This was just a small piece of the floor that was glass down about 2 floors. Everyone was walking around it, but Scott and I of course have no fear! :) This reminded me of the evening we spent at the Palms in Vegas. Their glass floor is about
40 feet down (the Palms is actually up on the 55th floor- over 600 ft up, sprawled over their pools) and covers a much bigger space. That was a magical evening! Scott took me there while we were dating and it's where he first told me that he loved me. AHHH presh!

This is a beautiful shot of the inside of the Duomo, with its striped marble. The people are all fuzzy moving down below.
This is actually a funtioning cathedral. You can see the pews and such. It was really special!

This was absolutely amazing! It was a depiction of the Last Supper in stained glass. It was truly amazing!
That stained glass picture is that big round bright light to the right of the picture above.

More wonderful local people-filled streets on their National Independence Day.

Scott was extra excited as he thought he saw Josh Groban! LOL

These big rings attached to the walls are for people racing in the Palio to hook their horses to.

It had just rained and left the most beautiful reflective stage.

And then we left Siena, all too soon!

We had to hurry and get ready for the rehearsal dinner.
From left to right: Caleb, Denise, Phil, Easton, Scott, Jill, Lee, Sharon, Barry, Bobbie, Dick, Flo, Linda, Lyle, JaNae, and Brent.

I absolutely LOVE this picture of my handsome Scotty!

We love JaNae and Lyle!

Everyone was comparing wraps/scarves and everyone had a really good story of where they got theirs. Venice, Paris, Siena, Rome 3 years ago, etc., when it came my turn I proudly replied "I got my wrap at Wal*Mart in Lehi." Everyone laughed, but I told them I was serious. One of the guests said "Well, then I'm not going to ask you where you got your necklace!" And I said, "It's a good thing you're not going to ask because I got it at a second-hand store!" People were shocked--I was proud!
On the boat on the way over to to the island where we had dinner.

Where we docked.
3 comments:
I have looked at all your post now and can honestly say I am jelous. What an amazing adventure. Looks like you had a blast and Scott took amazing "undercover" pictures. Can wait to see the next post. Miss you!
seriously, me want Italian food! and you looked gorgeous at the rehearsal dinner. ahhhh, if only I could go to flippin Europe.
Pretty sure we are naming the little peanut Miles:)
Wow. Wow. Wow. I must comment on the fantastic food, statues (I'm taken with idea behind the Fountain of Joy), and your wrap! Lucky you.
Post a Comment