
Like most of you, the blog is your journal...and I need to vent and/or express some feelings, hoping that I will feel better by doing so. I am great at putting on a smile and going about my day, but wow it's getting harder and harder to do so! I am sad. So, so sad. Scott and I have wanted a family for a long time. Scotty is so good with children--it was one of the "higher up on the list" reasons to why I married this wonderful man; knowing he would be a great father! We have been climbing the infertility ladder for almost 3 years of our 4 years of marriage. After the months and years of oral meds and injections--six months of clomid, three artificial inseminations, and three IVF attempts (feel free to google any of those fun procedures) --we were diagnosed with being the classic case of "unexplained infertility"--um, excuse me isn't that an oxymoron--how can unexplained be a diagnosis? Our third and final attempt at IVF almost cost me my life--hypotensive shock, needing a blood transfusion and a wonderful hospital stay in Vegas--where our specialty doctor is. One of those rare accidents that the doctor cuts your ovary while retrieving eggs, and you bleed for days...talk about insult to injury! However, by some stroke of freakish good luck one of the two embryos implanted, survived and we were pregnant--me, pregnant! What a miracle! Scott started calling the baby Captain America because it had survived such a traumatic introduction! We were elated to say the least and it took quite awhile for it to seem real. We saw the baby at 6 weeks with it's little heart-a-beating! At almost eight weeks I heard the heart beat--I do ultrasound of the heart and have access to an ultrasound machine daily and was looking at it all the time! Watching its daily growth--how lucky was I? We were thrilled to hear the beat of its little heart knowing that once you hear its heart beat, you have a less than 5% chance of miscarriage. I went in for a regular check up (I had been seeing the chief of fetal and maternal medicine at the U because of a number of high-risk issues). I went by myself because of course it was going to be "routine." As the ultrasound technician began I was looking for the heart and arms and such and wasn't getting a clear picture. I had a hard time seeing the heart but was relying on the technician...because I know just enough to be dangerous--when it comes to hearts, I'm very confident, but babies...not so sure. The technician looked concerned (I give that look all the time to my patients) and I instantly was sickened! I said "You don't see a heartbeat do you?" and she said, "No." Hmmmm, "no"--what exactly does that mean? And then the numbness set in. A doctor came in to look, another technician, etc. I laid there thinking to myself the obvious--"they have to be kidding" realizing who would kid about something like this right? I was left alone while the doctors conferred with each other. While I was alone, I instantly called for help, by starting a prayer saying "Heavenly Father..." I couldn't even get past that before I felt a warm presence as if to say "I'm already here." I just kept repeating, "don't leave me, don't leave me." I called Scott and the trauma began to sink in as I had to say the words..."our baby is not alive," "we miscarried," "there is no heartbeat," "I think I just lost the baby," etc. how does one put that into words without needing a straight jacket? I am sure that other people miscarry--every day--but to me it seemed, I was the first to have ever felt this way and my world had just ended. I felt like our last and final hope and chance was no longer. We can't just "try again." It was science that had us conceive. And the preparation for IVF is horrendously painful and expensive beyond explanation, and after the last time of literally hanging on to my own life, it's completely out of the question to try IVF again. That was it! That was our one shot! There seems like nothing worse than the feeling of no hope! The doctor at the U was actually great through this whole thing, as was his nursing staff. With it being three days before Christmas, Dr. Silver said he was leaving town the next day, but was not going to let me carry around a dead baby over the holidays. Those were some harsh words, yet I appreciated him fitting me into his schedule and having a D and C that day. A D and C is a procedure done under conscious sedation where they pretty much just suck the baby out of your uterus, while you listen to the suction and watch the tissue and blood go through a tube into a sac. The procedure itself, doesn't take very long...but the memories of it, however, will last forever! I had driven up myself that morning and you can't drive yourself home after this procedure ,so Scott was getting out of work but we needed a ride for him so he could drive me home as to not have two cars up at the hospital. There was no question in my mind of who would drop everything and drive Scott up to the U. Of course it was my sister--who literally dropped her kids (thanks Deron), left in the middle of her shower, etc. to drive Scotty up. I also wanted her to stay with us I needed someone who could field all the questions from family and friends and I just wanted her there! While I waited for them to arrive, I called the only two people I knew who have been through something like this and would understand. Shellie and Wendy. I am so grateful they both picked up their phones. I needed them so desperately! They were so sensitive and both cried with me and were angry with me! I needed them while I waited for Scott and Melinda, because I was slowly losing it and having them talk me through it was beyond helpful! It was a blessing to know they knew precisely what I was going through. When Scott and Melinda finally got to me, I told them I needed Scott's arms and Melinda's words! I am complete when I have those two with me :) Melinda had the perfect words to say--which really weren't anything other than, "ya, this sucks", while Scott just had his big arms around me and let me cry! Melinda has a lot of sympathy and empathy and knows just how to talk to me! Scott of course is my rock and was able to be in on the procedure and help me. They dilate your cervix to a ten in order to retrieve the little fetus...and that was a blast...to those of you who have "dilated" :) and had children...good gosh, bless you! I thought I was going to lose it! I'm glad I had Scott there who talked about our favorite beaches and places to visit while I wanted to just slip into a coma and die! And that was it...we were done and could go home. Home, to find ultrasound pictures taped to the back of the door, and Christmas cards in the mail to congratulate us on the miracle, and little clothes laid out and little stuffed animals people had given us because of their excitement for us. All to be put away, never planning on ever getting them back out. I know that other people have miscarriages and move on, but I feel like we have spent three years in trying to get this far and have now fallen from a very high plateau. I know it's better that it happened now and not later, or that I didn't have a stillborn, or hey at least we conceived, etc. I know all that...and yet somehow it doesn't help at all. There are no comments to be made to heal this--only time, and yet even that, this experience will never be forgotten. I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ which, at a time like this, gives me direction, and reminds me that I have a Friend who understands all pains and is acquainted with many griefs! But here I sit 13 days later still hurting. I think it is getting less and less, but I ache. I want my baby back and nothing is filling that void.
25 comments:
I LOVE MY MEGS!!!
I just want to say that i am so sorry that all this has happened, and i wish i could somehow take your pain away. It isn't fair and i have no explanations for you. I have heard that fathers don't really understand a mother's emotions untill they have the baby in their own arms and i know that to be true in me and i wish i could better understand you and what you have been going through. I will keep trying to be there for you and i just wish i could magically make it better.
Love your Scotty!
Megan, I wish so badly that there was something I could do or say to lighten the load. You are so brave to be able to put your honest thoughts and feelings out there. The hardest part of life is the unexplained! Just know that you are in good hands. Love you girl!
Megan, I'm crying for you right now. I can't comprehend the extent of the hurt you must be feeling, but I remember how much I hurt, and how hard I cried when I miscarried last year. In comparison, it must have been NOTHING to what you are going through. I honestly think about you every day. I don't understand why you, one of the best people I know, has had to endure so much. It makes me sad and it makes me angry. But dwelling on the "why" doesn't answer anything. Like Min has said so many times, someday we'll understand it, but that someday is still so far away. So I guess what I'm saying is that you have the right to grieve this baby for as long as it takes. You saw the life within you- it was a baby and it was yours. It's okay to hurt and to hurt deeply. You went from heartache, to amazing joy, to a deeper heartache then you thought possible. I'm sure you are exhausted in every sense. Just hold on. One of my favorite quotes is by Neal A. Maxwell, it's been on my fridge for three years now, back from a time when I was in the darkest place I've ever been. "We can say: 'I know God loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know all things' (1 Nephi 11:17.) There have been and will be times in each of our lives when such faith must be the bottom line: We don't know what is happening to us or around us, but we know that God loves us, and knowing that for the moment is enough." I know you know God loves you. I hope you know how much I love you too. Just hold on as tight as you can to all the love that surrounds you. xoxoxo
All I can say is that I cannot believe how strong both of you are and are being through this time in your lives. Scott, I just read your comment and know you are such an amazing, perfect husband to and for Megan. I know you guys are going to get through this, and I also know that it may be a hard road for you during that time. Megan, thank you for sharing, as I know that is not an easy thing for you to do. I love you both so much I get emotional just thinking about you through this ordeal, and hope you remember I am not speaking for only myself here. You both have so many people who care so much for you, and we are all here to be your support if you can't do it on your own. I love you!
Love,
Laurel
There are so many things that I want to say right now but I don't know how to say them without offending all of your great friends whoe have such great faith (and I mean that with all my heart). What I will say is that "everything happens for a reason" doesn't help in the midst of total dispare. This brings back so many bad memories and so much anger that I admire your for being able to hold on to your faith in God. This is on the top of the list of questions I'm gonna ask the big guy when I see him!
Megan, I love you!!!! and I hope you survived the other night or should I say morning. We love you guys and can not imagine what your going through but hope you know that we're here any time you need anything, (bones, hugs, Mr Peepee Pants, anything. Love you both...
Katie & Bob
I started crying when Laurel told me to check your blog, and I haven't been able to stop. I don't know what to say to help. But I do know that this outpouring of love from your friends is a testament to how wonderful both of you are. We are all here for you. We love you. And I'm so glad you feel comfortable enough to share your feelings here. I know it's very therapeutic to release your feelings of sadness, confusion, and even anger; and we're all happy to listen.
Hi, Megan. So much to say... Long story short, please know that we're thinking about and praying for you guys. I look at our sweet Adam boy and know that he IS our "unexplained infertility." I know that, for whatever reason, Heavenly Father had a different plan for us than we thought. Who knows what our future holds, but that--for now--is what I DO know. I absolutely know that He knows YOU and your pain and heartache.
You're continually in our prayers-
Kristin
Hi cousin. Kristi and I love you and are thinking of you. We'd love to talk to you when you have some time. All the best, Craig
Megan...I've wrote my comment like 20 times and erased because frankly I know nothing I say will take away your pain. I wish I could, I really wish you didn't have to suffer like this. I love you and I am praying for you. I have a million quotes and scriptures I could send to you but I know that you know that you are not alone. It is okay to be sad and angry..that is part of the process. We will never understand the depth of your pain. We love ya, let us know if you need anything!!!
Becky
Megan and Scott,
I think of you every day, plead for you every prayer, hope for you every moment. We love you more than words can express. Please know that, and we'll be seeing you soon. Love, Mama Lee
Megan-
I wish you weren't going through this. It's horrible. There is no other word to describe it. I remember that feeling of hopelessness all too well. I remember crying and crying and not being able to stop for a long, long time.
I do know that all through that, Heavenly Father was aware of our situation and was preparing us for what was to come. I know we had to go through all that before we were ready for the answer of what we needed to do to add to our family.
I wish there was something I could say to help, but I know there isn't. Just know that if you need to talk you can call anytime.
When you first told me, all I said to myself was NO! NO! NO! over and over again. I was sad and angry and I kept thinking, this isn't fair. The obvious and painful lesson of life is that it sure as heck isn't fair, and blessings aren't given based on who deserves them necessarily. If that were the case Megan, you'd have every blessing under the sun and ten children. I just want to give you a huge hug right now Megan. I love ya and admire you so much! Hang in there...time will pass.
Scott and Megan,
There is nothing I could say that hasn't already been said. Just want you to know that you are in our prayers and you know that if there is anything we can do - just call. We love you guys!
Ryan and Janelle
I cannot stop crying...hopefully I stop my the time my prep period is over. I know anything I say will seem trivial and cold, but I do love you both so much. I am so sorry. I do not pretend to know how you feel or the big WHY...I am so grateful that you have each other. I have never seen two people grow close in such hard times. You are meant for each other--that I do understand. We love you so much!
My heart has been aching for you...and reading what you went through just made me ache even more! I can't say that I understand what you're going through, not even close...but I have been through a miscarriage...we had fertility issues for a few years and then finally got pregnant...and then I lost the baby also. It was one of the hardest times I've ever been through...and the only thing that got me through was family and Heavenly Father...so rely on them...they're ready and willing to help....and so is the ward! Rely on us....we're all praying for you!!
Lindsey J
Well, isn't that just kick you in the crouch spit on your neck fantastic! (I thought you could use a little humor) Although there is nothingfunny about this. I am sad. You feel what ever you want to feel at the time you feel it. Does that make sense? i remember you telling me that if I felt like Crap, then I shoul feel like CRAP. If you feel good, then feel GOOD. You don't need to explain the way you feel to anyone. Feel sad, feel mad, feel grumpy. You don't need o explain anything. I am in tears. I gues I have finally "broken down" Hey, A girl can only be strong for so long. I LOVE YOU 333 FOREVER. PS remember Misty's offer always stands.
Megan- I know that was really hard for you to write, being the private gal that you are, but thank you for sharing your feelings. Thank you for allowing us to get a glimpse into the heart of Megan. I ditto what everyone else has said, especially that it is okay to be sad, there has been a huge loss. You would not tell me to smile if my mom had just died. You would tell me to mourn that loss. Also, I ditto that we are praying for you too. I am sad with you! Anytime you need a pan of brownies, call me and I will be there within the hour, I mean that Megan. We are bff right?
Karen
Megs,
I wish I had the words. I wish I knew what to say... I don't. I can't even imagine the pain you are in. Just know that I love you-and that the Lord loves you.
Megan, I happened to call Shellie right after you hung up from telling her. She was inconsolable - it brought back so many bad memories for her, and she loves you so much, it broke her heart. I remember a dark time in my life, and I'm ashamed to say that I was actually mad at Heavenly Father . . . really mad at him, and I stayed mad at him for a while! You are amazing to be able to say in your blog, "I have a Friend who understands all pains and is acquainted with many griefs!" He'll love you even if you have some coming days when you're not so happy with Him.
Megan, I haven't been able to stop thinking about you guys since this horrible tragedy in your lives. We want you to know we care and grieve for your loss. It isn't easy to loose a baby that way. I didn't have all of the infertility problems, but I too lost my baby the same way. My pain didn't go away in 13 days or even 30. As time did pass it did get easier to put on the smile and keep going. Your journey will not be easy, but you have so many to help you. You have great family and friends!
The Andersons
Oh Megan. I am so sorry! I've been without the internet for weeks, and found out about you when I saw Melinda the other day. My heart aches for you. I admire your complete candidness on your post. I think it's incredibly healthy to verbalize your feelings like that. I agree with everyone else. Be sad for as long as you need to.
The part in your post about when you prayed right after you found out about the baby was so sweet. So sweet to know that you weren't alone during such a dark hour. You'll be in my prayers.
I've got nothin' but love for ya.
xoxo
We love you guys! Thank you for sharing I am typing through the tears and want you to know you are continually in our prayers.
Love, Jacki, Jeff and Madeline
It's been a long time since I've been "blogging", so sorry this is way after you posted it. But I still just want to say I LOVE YOU! and I wish I could do more.
Ah, Meg! Eventhough you've already told me this horrible news I just now read it. I hate hate hate that you had to go through this...and find out all alone. I know that had to suck! I hope your days are getting easier and a lot brighter. You mentioned Dr. Silver, he's the doctor that Troy and I are going to go see. He's fantastic and such a helpful doctor. He performed the study on our little guy and just helped me go through my most recent miscarriage, last month. He is filled with nothing but words of hope and optimism. Are you guys still going to see him? I just want to give you a huge hug and just cry. You are in my prayers and thoughts always and I hope you are doing well.
With much love, Loni
Post a Comment